An Idea Forwarded...

*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

Hasclaan sends a letter to his superiors:
wrote: Ladies and Sirs,

for several years our factions studies the portals, collects all records about active and inactive and even rumoured portals.

Recent developments showed that this might not be enough.

Invaders entered Sigil without warning, spread out through the city uncontrolled. Administrator Seph and I discussed this situation and to prevent this happening again I suggest to research a way that allows us to monitor the portals.

The advantages of this would be the following:

Monitoring the movement of citizen and factioneers, easier detection of illegal activities like unlicensed slavery or smuggling, troop movements and of course the preperation of attacks.

Of course I expect other factions to resist this idea so I suggest to find allies amond the other two Triad factions and the Fated, as those three factions will profit from what we plan most.

I allowed myself to attach a first draft as well as a study of what spells and items could be used for monitoring.

Hasclaan Guunt, A10
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

Hasclaan -always a practical man- starts to search the records for one of the most active portals to start some research with. He is careful to not choose any portal that is connected to a faction but he needs one that sees some regular use.
Soon he has chosen his first target.

Next he sends a letter to his superiors again:
wrote: Ladies and Sirs,

I request permission to set up monitoring devices at Sigil, Lower Ward, Location 567/6. The portal in question is IP/E 156-52 (desitination Inner Planes, Plane or Earth) the key used is 123/54 (some dirt).
This one was chosen as it can be accessed easily and sees some frequent use by caravans entering Sigil from the Dao Mines.

The device used to count activity is a prototype of my own design, using a Portal Alarm spell to count the passing creatures.

This is a phase 1 device, only collecting information about when and how many creatures pass through the portal and not yet gathering information about said creatures themselves.

Thank you for considering my request,

Hasclaan Guunt, A8
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

While it has been some time, a package arrives at HasclaanÂ’s desk. It contains several authorized permits and signed documents. It also contains the following note
wrote:Administrator Guunt

Please find enclosed all appropriate and required documents and permits required to begin your portal investigations. As Bureau Chief of Interfaction Affairs, I am temporarily assigning you to my Bureau and giving you full authorization to begin your portal studies.

Please report to Administrator 1 Arnders at your soonest opportunity. She will be your immediate supervisor. We look forward your findings.

Bureau Chief Seph
A copy of the letter is also sent to Caterina
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

Hasclaan files the letter, reads through the permits and licenses then starts to create more of the devices he designed, installing them at the given locations.

The following weeks he will monitor said devices, watching their performance, collecting data.

*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

Hasclaan sends a letter to his superiours:
wrote: Sir, Lady,

the devices are mining data steadily, working acording to my expectations.

I suggest to expand this operation soon and request a meeting to talk about the next steps.

Hasclaan Guunt, A8

<An complicated, elaborate arcane mark, like two clawed hands descending>
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

A reply arrives to his letter.
wrote:
Administrator Guunt

Before we discuss developing your project further we feel it prudent to review its worth so far.  Please compile the data you have amassed so far and prepare a presentation of to how it will be of use to The Fraternity.  You have a week to prepare and a meeting will take place at the City Court.  Should your idea prove to be of merit we will discuss how it can be of use going forward.

Caterina Arnders
Administrator A1
Bureau of Interfactional Affairs
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

The necromancer files the letter as usual, a small smile on his lips when he looks over the data this project has produced so far. He pours himself a glass of water then returns to his work, preparing his presentation.
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

After spending some days woth preperations Hasclaan is ready to do move to the next stage of this project.

First the sensor monitoring the portal to the Plane of Earth is upgraded to detect alignments and to allow scrying on its location as well- upgrading this device to full Phase III capabilities.

Then Phase I sensors are placed nearby the portals leading to Baator and Brux, ready to monitor the frequency of travels through these portals.

After writing a letter to the Harmonium Hasclaan then also prepares the four corpses he aquired from the Mortuary- poor berks who in life sold their mortal remains to the Dusties.

He makes sure they are preserved well while he starts to work on a construct the same time- a modular being, something that can be picked apart and rearranged, that could accept limbs and other bodyparts from different sources.

This construct is designed resembling the inevitables as Hasclaan takes insporations from the champions of Law and he records all he does diligently.

After all he is looking for the rules and laws that both construct and undead have in common- his ultimate goal a hybrid that has both creature types strenghts but none of their weaknesses.

Of course neither the construct nor the undead he later will animate will have sentience- they are objects of study, something that helps him to explore Laws and Axioms noone explored before.

*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

In the research vaults beneath the Courts- a place not just to study but to unravel the multiverse's rules by experminentation Hasclaan finishes the last adjustments to this new creation- a construct made using the parts of an undead creature- almost resembling a flesh golem but powered by undeath instead of an elemental spirit.

It is a small thing, weak and not very fast and not sentient- designed like this on purpose just in case something goes wrong. He entrusts the controlling device to the aides assisting him, instructing them how to prepare the next stages of the experiment which should reveal the beings strenghts and weaknesses.

He then goes upstairs again to collect the data gained from the portal beacons, forwarding them to the aides analyzing and processing this data- two duodrones their able, analytic minds only focusing on this task.

There is a lot of data.

The necromancer seems almost surprised, but then smiles about his own reaction. Collecting the processed Data gained so far he sends them to his superiors- and of course two copies are filed for the Fraternity's archieves here in Sigil and on Mechanus.