The Trial Of Luisiani

*MimiFearthegn

Posted by *MimiFearthegn »

The rather gruff and seedy looking personage addressed as Nicholai shuffled up to the witness stand, and looked around at everyone assembled, his hands in his pockets, before beginning:

"Well ya see, it was some weeks ago now, but I was out an hour or two before anti-peak, and I saw the accused and this lord arguing. I was packing up my cart, so I was a respectable distance away, but I still heard 'em!

"The lord, he was standing there sort of defensive-like, and this woman was yellling at him, and scolding, and carrying on. He kept trying to make her go away, and said 'No, no' and 'No, I don't owe you anything,' over and over.

"But she wouldn't let the matter go! She said 'You promised to pay me three weeks ago!' and when he denied that, she said 'You'll regret this!'

"Then she left. I'm not quite sure where she went, but the lord looked a mite shaken by the whole thing."
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

Alathusra nods along as the man gives his testimony.

"Tell me, when the afore-described encounter took place, was there anything about the exchange that led you to believe that it was anything other than a perfectly mundane confrontation over alleged gambling debts?"
*MimiFearthegn

Nicholai rubbed the side of his face with the back of his sleeve, and considered the question:

"Well, I wouldn't call it a mundane confrontation. I didn't hear the beginning of it, but it t'wasn't like she was just handing him a bill. No, this woman was screaming, and sounded like she wanted to scratch his eyes out over the whole thing.

"Maybe it was a lot of money, I don't know. . ."
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

Hasclaan listens and writes down some notes, his face his usual neutral mask.
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

Alathusra nods.

"Or perhaps she needed money quickly to pay off another debt. No further questions for the witness."
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

Caterina looks at the defence counsel.

"Administrator Guunt would you like to cross examine the witness?"
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

Hasclaan gets up, nods. " Yes, please.", he says to the judge, then approaches the witness, talking at he walks.

"First I would ask my honoured collegue from the Prosecution to not put words into the witnesses mouths."

He then stops, smiles at the witness. "Good day, sir, I have a few questions about what you just told us.

Please be careful with your answers, a life might depend on what you say.

You said you have not heard what started the argument? But you are sure it was about money? Money the man owed the accused?"
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

Caterina interrupts him.

"Administrator Guunt should you have a problem with something the prosecution says or does you have the right to raise an objection properly at the time and it will be sustained or overruled as the situation merits. You will however refrain from doing so in the manner you do now. This is a trial not a squabble in the market. Proceed with your questions please."
*MimiFearthegn

Nicholai looked slightly confused at Hasclaan's questions:

"Well now, when somebody says 'you owe me' and 'you promised to pay me' it usually means money."
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

Hasclaan turned to the judge, smiled. "Noted."

Turning his attention back to the man he goes on.

"Usually, yes." he agrees with a nod. "When did this argument you witnessed happen? How long before the killing? Which happened at...." he consults the notes then gives the man the exact date.