Report To B3 Garalax (dm Igglwiv)

*Brindas

Posted by *Brindas »

Brindas delivers a letter directly to the Bureau Chiefs office, sealed as high importance. Contained within is a report meant only for his eyes.

"
Report on Scrolls Menmur

by Brindas Defeign, A10

Bureau Chief Garalax, B3:

The Scrolls of Menmur are a subject I have personally studying since my arrival in this Cage over two months ago. I am presenting you with a veritable plethora of information so as to show my earnesty in seeing an end to their chaos, my devotion the order, and my gratitude at the promotion you have bestowed upon me.

One cannot speak of the scrolls effectively without first listing their general effects. The most common side effect is hearing their whispers. This can happen as soon as one scroll, but sometimes as many as three are needed for this affliction to begin. The dark whispers can have varying effects on the individual, as noted below. Similarly, dreams of a tentacled mass begin afflicting the possessor somewhere around five scrolls being collected. This is not necessarily a destructive dream, but it tends to evoke fear, discomfort, or perhaps morbid curiosity in the subjects. Finally, the scrolls eventually alter the mood of the one who has them. Typically, this is a fear/paranoia effect – one feels entropy and destruction, and often fears it is unavoidable. Another possibility is depression or nihilism, if a weaker person is taken in. Finally, a third subset exists, one who finds the scrolls comforting. I personally have encountered three such individuals, two of them are certain chaotic to the very core, but another is on the opposite end of the spectrum. It is unknown, therefore, if the feelings of comfort have to do with morals or ethics at all.

The next step is to determine just who is seeking these scrolls. I have identified at least five major groups searching for them. The largest and most dangerous group is the Cult of Tharizdun, who believes they can awaken their dread god of chaos and end reality. Secondly is a cult of the flayed god Aoskar, who are traitors to the Lady herself, and similarly believe they can revive their lord via the scrolls. A third group is the Doomguard, who believe they are tools of entropy. However, not all those seeking them are so inclined: The Mercykillers are collecting them to separate them, and ostensibly to destroy them if such a thing can be done. Udgum leads a group known as the Liberators and seems to be turning them over to the Upper Planes for safekeeping. Anastasia Starkovich, leading a group of researchers including Morasaraug Dlaresdal, Chassiel, Karn, Tammy, and myself focus on finding a way to destroy the scrolls.

Before destruction can be thought about, what means have been attempted to gather information upon them via magic? Clairvoyance cast upon the scrolls causes the whispers to become incredibly damaging, often knocking out an individual or requiring admittance to the Gatehouse. True Seeing is even worse, when this is used, it can cause a permanent insanity, and is responsible for a previous research group failing. Finally, psionicists using the scrolls can get the words from the scrolls permanently etched upon their very mind, causing unceasing headaches, or the moods as described above.

Finally, moving on to destruction. Many mundane methods fail to destroy these scrolls, though some can seem to make them lose form temporarily, they simply pop back into existence after. Divine energy seems completely ineffective, as do fire, cold, electricity, force damage, and all other manner of arcane trickery, and brute force is completely useless. However, there has been a small breakthrough in our group: extremely powerful and concentrated acid has left at least a bit of damage upon a scroll: it may be a worthy pursuit, at last!

I hope this information is worth your time, Chief, it has taken me great effort and many contacts to collect: not very many have all of this information on the subject without suffering from at least some form of insanity.

Sincerely,

Doctor Brindas Defeign, A10"

*Iggwilv

Posted by *Iggwilv »

A reply is sent to Brindas office shortly after he files his report.
wrote:
Administrator Defeign

The initial information gathered raises several questions as to exactly which laws these scrolls follow.  I would like to gather a control group of subjects and gauge their reaction to how different quantities of the scrolls. This would allow us to observe the patterns of their behaviour and quantify it into a law.

For that you will require test subjects and scrolls.  Fortunately there is an opportunity to acquire both.  The other groups that you mention will require stopping as we cannot allow for the scrolls to fall into chaotic hands.  The most easily visible and accessible are the cultists of Aoskar.  I shall have you assigned to whichever effort The Harmonium takes against them.  I would like you to work closely with our allies and see the scrolls seized and those you seize them from interned.

Bureau Chief III
Gradual
Bureau of Planar Affairs
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

A letter from the Harmonium arrives:

wrote: To: Brindas Defeign, A10

Sir,

I was asked to liaise with you in the matter of prosecuting some followers of Aoskar.

Please contact me soon so we can work out the details,

Hograth Thorn, Measure III

<a seal showing a dragon's claw and an arcane mark showing something similar>
*Brindas

Posted by *Brindas »

Selebius,Apr 30 2015 wrote: A letter from the Harmonium arrives:

wrote: To: Brindas Defeign, A10

Sir,

I was asked to liaise with you in the matter of prosecuting some followers of Aoskar.

Please contact me soon so we can work out the details,

A letter is finally returned:

"My apologies for the delay. I was interred on a Prime Material Plane that was being destroyed. By the skin of my teeth, I have returned. I am ready to begin prosecution against this cult when possible."

-Brindas Defeign
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

wrote:
To: Brindas Defeign, A10

Sir,

as soon as the Harmonium takes action against this  Cult I will invite you to join our efforts.

(( I do not know if this plot is still active as the DM promised to run one event- either Triad or unaffiliated Adventurers and the latter got more people interested. Of course if Brindas wants Hograth can still include him in whatever might be done in future. ))