Recouping Costs

*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Sent to the Bureau Chief who manages the Bureau of the Courts
wrote:As it becomes more and more apparent of the workload within the Bureau of the Courts, so does it become apparent that costs continue to rise to maintain it. ItÂ’s no secret that more and more litigation cases are finding their way into our courtrooms. We have seen a sharp increase of everyday citizens availing themselves of our resources in cases of legal actions for libel, slander, malicious arrest, malicious prosecution or false imprisonment. All of these cases, whether handled in a lower court or the Halls of the Superior Courts are becoming a drain not only upon our monetary resources but also upon our resources of Manpower which could be more wisely spent on research. This being the case, I propose the following;

In cases of legal actions for libel, slander, or any other non-criminal civil suit brought against another citizen or organization of the city, or in cases of malicious arrest, malicious prosecution or false imprisonment, should the initiator of the suit lose, they shall be responsible for paying the costs of not only the party they sued but also the costs of the Jury and basic court personnel and standard court costs. Should they win, these costs will continue to absorbed by the court.

Not only will this permit the courts to recoup a portion of the fees now spent on frivolous and malicious suits, it will also reduce the number of these suits as people begin to weigh the costs vs value of initiating them. This will stem the flow of lost revenue and further our cause for research by relaxing overused resources.

B4 Seph
Superior Court Judge
Bureau of the Courts

Included are a number of pages outlining the current costs of the litigation system and the potential savings if this was to be implemented

((While I canÂ’t actually produce numbers to look at, I can tell you this is loosely based on the Canadian system where if you sue and you lose? You pay your opponents costs. The only reason IÂ’m bringing it up is that something like this would have an effect on peoples decisions in game if they intended on suing someone.))