Report Pending Action

*Trigonometry

Posted by *Trigonometry »

3rd Lady of Catechism 5:48 to Peak.

A troupe of Chaosmen walked into the Bazaar holding a Kobold among their midst, who they claimed to be the Kobold King. Their actions were by no means lawless, and could be described as nothing else but Xaot shenanigans.

Upon sighting of this troupe, a woman that claimed to be with the Harmonium, by the name of 'Bella' D'Phiarlan gathered another member of the Harmonium, and immediately stepped in to intervene. She did so rather agressively, almost as if she was looking to cause trouble, and then act on it with her law given powers.

While other Cagers were trying to figure out what they wanted, and trying to get them to disperse diplomatically, she immediately brandished arms, two Soulknives specifically, and demanded that there was order.

It was at this point that a woman broke the law and punched one of the Xaots, (One Charge of Assault), and one of the Xaots retaliated by using the Kobold as a throwing weapon. (One Charge of Assault).

The Officer decided to immediately act on it and began to forcefully detain both members to take them to the Barracks, as The Harmonium are capable of, despite the growing agitation of other Xaots and the lack of need for detainment. Both individuals' names should've been taken, and if someone were to take the case to court, then a Measure should've drafted an Arrest Warrant. Instead, despite the growing agitations, Bella detained both individuals and dragged them off to the Barracks, causing a riot to erupt as a huge crowd of Chaosmen swiped through the Bazaar after them shouting 'Down with the Shackle Tyrant'.

We would like to get in contact with the Harmonium so that measures are taken against this woman for, through negligence, Disrupting the Peace. However, we require written permission from the Bureau of the Courts.

The Harmonium's reputation, and therefore the Triad's through association, has taken a hit from this debacle due to the overzealous actions of one officer. The entire situation could have been defused without the need for a riot had a more diplomatic approach been taken. Bad Judgement is not an excuse for disrupting the peace.

-Aide Alloces Gomory
-The Illustrious Aide Hussain Aali Al-Aqator, Sixfold Syncretist, Heir of Aqaa, True Augur of the Age Reborn, Beacon of the Old Way, Mover of the Wheel Unturned, Akinator, Deciever of the Fates Eternal, Clerk of His Own Cage, The Solar Vizier.
*wmw12

Posted by *wmw12 »

*Deltana pens a rather diplomatic yet blunt reply*

Aide Gomory,

For future occurrences please refrain from added personal opinions of matters in your reports, they show if not a lack of impartiality at the very least a level of automatic disregard for the rank we hold within the city and does absolutely nau good in any type of court case. Please rewrite your report at your earliest convenience listing only facts which can be substantiated by witness accounts, also please use your time to track down any witnesses you remember from the event in question and have them come to either the City Courts for an interview with me or to Grail Manor. Further more, should you see the Harmonium you mentioned ask her to do the same as stated above.

Bel'la dos,
Deltana Grail, A8
*Trigonometry

*A new report is submitted, taking close to a day to be drafted, followed by an addendum*

A troupe of Chaosmen walked into the Bazaar holding a Kobold among their midst, who they claimed to be the Kobold King. The Kobold verbally suggested it wanted to be left alone by the Xaots. Individuals within the bazaar that were speaking to the group were making successful diplomatic appeals that they let the Kobold go. Upon sighting these proceedings, an officer of the Harmonium going by the tag of 'Bella' D'Phiarlan, stepped in to intervene. She approached with drawn weapons. Two Soulknives, one in each hand. The offer demanded that there be order.

It was at this point that an individual bystander punched one of the Xaots, (One Charge of Assault), and one of the Xaots retaliated by using the Kobold as a throwing weapon. (One Charge of Assault).

The Officer decided to immediately act on it and began to forcefully detain the bystander and the one she attacked. To take them to the Barracks. The individual that threw the Kobold remained unattended.
Once the officer hauled the pair off, a large riot of Xaositects swiped through the Bazaar, shouting 'Down with the Shackle Tyrant'. A name some of the onlooking Xaots used to describe the officer in question.

Addendum:

Much of what was considered subjective in the previous report wasn't of my own opinion, but rather of those around us. Some that hailed this as a perfect example of why the Harmonium are said to be leaving the Market Ward. Additionally, if one is to prove negligence, much of what was previously on paper would be what I would bring to court to be backed by witnesses. They were not my opinion, but what those that I would bring in to testify, if necessary, would state themselves. They are the points that would be used to prove negligence.

Furthermore, I am drafting up a report on the damages caused by the Xaot riots. They purposely avoided running over people and damaging property when they ran through the Market Ward, but I am unsure of how they behaved in the Lady's Ward. I am also getting in touch with witnesses at the scene, and trying to track down the Kobold in question.

They will be sent your way as requested.

-Aide Alloces Gomory
*wmw12

Posted by *wmw12 »

Aide Gomory,

I understand completely what you were trying to show in your previous report, and I thank you for resubmitting it. In future, please tack those statements on as witness statements so that they do not come across as biased comments from the Guvner who was present at the time. It will save you much headache, I promise.

Deltana Grail A8
*Trigonometry

*A new report is turned in, it comes with a sensory stone attached to it, and an addendum*

According to several witness statements most of the damages to the Market Ward were caused by bystanders who reacted poorly to the sight of a mob of Xaosmen running through the ward. Many bystanders ended up damaging stalls and propriety in an attempt to get out of the way of the Mob which added to the Chaos in the Ward during the debacle.

Hag Food Stall Merchant: Claims that Xaosmen climbed on top of the establishment 'Cookie', and that he spotted bystanders breaking stalls getting out of the way of the Mob. However, he doesn't appear to be very bright, and calling him in to testify to his statements could damage the credibility of the case.

Tarion Tannebrin: Claims that someone he was enchanting jumped out of the way of the mob and he ended up enchanting a Xaot instead. As enchantments are his trade, one could consider this theft, as the Xaot did not pay for services provided. He also witnessed a bystander breaking one of Minerva's staves as he tried to avoid the riot. He is willing to come in and testify to this claim, however, it took some convincing to get him to show up to the courts. Only call him in if absolutely necessary.

Minerva the Scroll Merchant: Claims that a bystander accidentally broke one of her magical staves while trying to avoid the crowd. Is thankful that the staff merely broke, and its magical effects weren't triggered causing further damage. She witnessed Trevor, the Coin Exchanger, had been attacked by market goers who used the Riot as a guise to commit crime.

Trevor: Claims to have been attacked by a woman who he had been dealing with once the riots hit. She punched him and tried to make with his lockbox. However, it is enchanted, and returned to him so no goods were taken. He also claims to have witnessed bystanders running into stalls and smashing them in an attempt to avoid the mob. Should be called on to testify to this effect instead of the Hag. Told him to try to get in touch with the Harmonium to pursue charging his attacker, as I cannot begin an investigation to that effect being a Guvner.

Marroweater the Oni: Made a sensory stone that portrayed some of the attack. I bought it off him in exchange for a Wand of Stoneskin. The stone portrays some of the riot. Fortunately for the Bazaar, his position was mostly undisturbed, unfortunately for us, the Sensory Stone only portrays some bystanders running into stalls as well as a zombie falling into a watery ditch. Said zombie was still in the ditch at the time of writing, nearly five cycles after the riots had taken place. It was carrying a box in the sensory stone, but the box was nowhere to be found once I got there. I can only assume the box was stolen in the meantime.

I examined the zombie and it showed no signs of being owned by the Dustmen, instead it had a marking that tied it to a local necromancer. He is known to use zombies as a labour force and has been the victim of some charges of vandalism. Berks have carved up his zombies before, and considering how this one was gone for so long, and what it was carrying is now gone, he will be seeking restitution. He has done so before whenever his zombies were vandalized.

Ramerious: From his position he witnessed most of the damage caused by the Riot, and can back many of the testimonies in this report. In his own words, "Chaos begets Chaos, the bazaar goers joined in the frenzy in one way or another. The costers too, retaliated likewise."

-Aide Alloces Gomory

Addendum

Expenses: Shezz the Chant: One Platinum Cog. Led me to Marroweater and the Sensory Stone
One Wand of Stoneskin: To buy the Sensory Stone.
*wmw12

Posted by *wmw12 »

*Deltana reads through the report and nods, smiling slightly* Perhaps the jaluk is capable. *She mutters to herself and then quickly pens another reply*

Aide Gomory,

Please outline how you would like this handled. Please out line for me what actions you would take if you were an Administrator.

Deltana Grail A8
*Trigonometry

Administrator Grail,

To say that this case is sensitive, is an understatement. There are several things to consider before one can even start to think about a course of action.

First, the Harmonium are our allies. Which makes it very awkward to be charging one of their officers. However, if it can be proven that an officer of the Law was a proponent in the perpetuation of Chaos, then one cannot sit on their hands.

Second, the current political climate. The Harmonium have recently been ordered to leave the Market Ward. There are two ways one can take this event. The first, is that this is a good example of why they had to leave. If it can be proven that this officer did, due to negligence, cause this riot, then there is truth to these claims.

The other way one can take these events, are that it is the reason the Harmonium is necessary, as with less Harmonium presence the riot was possible, and it is what I suspect the defence would mention if we were to take the case to court. That the officer did the best she could with limited resources.

If this case were to ever reach the courts, and we were to win it, it would damage the cause of Order, as it would stain the Harmonium's reputation further, yet if there is incompetence among the ranks, then that situation has to be rectified.

Before any course of action is taken, we take note of the statements made by the officer and the witnesses that I have sent your way. I am still in the process of tracking one of these down, but I have already sent one your way.

If their statements can be considered valid in a court of law, and given the weight of the case due to the damages sustained by both the public and the Free League, then we should offer the Harmonium the opportunity to solve this behind closed doors.

Impose a fine for the Summary Offence of Disrupting the Peace on the Officer in Question, as well as whatever disciplinary measures those in the Harmonium would put in place for such a situation. Reinforce the idea that they have been given the tools with which to further the cause of Order, but that their misuse only plays into the hands of our political enemies.

As I don't have the political clout to carry the above off, this is a step I would propose to one that does. I am still making political connections so that my words can carry weight.

If such an offer was taken, then the case can be considered closed without committing ideological suicide. In fact, I believe that the second truth can be pushed if the correct measures are taken, and the fact that said officer was ever a proponent in this ordeal can be swiped under the rug. This will no longer be about an overzealous officer that caused a riot through negligence, and instead about the inability of the Free League to maintain the peace.

If such a deal is denied, and this case had to be pushed to the courts, then I believe that even as an Administrator I could not make this decision. I would have to contact the Head of the Bureau of Courts and trust in his judgement to do what he believed to be best to further the cause of Order. To publicly judge this matter that can damage our cause, for the sake of punishing a low ranking officer for a mistake. Or to discard it, because we stand to lose too much from winning it.

Were this case to ever reach the courts, I have a suitable plan on how to present the case, and how to tackle the defence. But hopefully, we will never reach this point.

-Aide Alloces Gomory.
*wmw12

Posted by *wmw12 »

Aide Gomory,

Your first point is taken and truthfully, that is the order of law. Whether Harmonium, Mercykiller, or Guvner, we all answer to it.

Your second point, while sound politically does not answer the question of what to do. Might I make a point to you here that, given it was a riot, everyone who damaged anything will need to be sought out and charged for their part in the destruction, not just this Harmonium officer. To lay all at the feet of one Harmonium is not really Just in my opinion. If we prosecute this officer we need to work to prosecute them all.

While I understand your concern about the Law and whether our ability to practice it would be damaged, I offer you a thought. Would it be easier to have the public trust us, and the Harmonium understand we are unwilling to cover up a crime simply because of title? Or would it be easier to allow the public to continue to distrust us and give the Harmonium the freedom to continue as they have, unchecked?

Now then, as to the fines and such you mentioned. You need to remember that this is a Triad, we are three when it comes to law in the Cage. The Harmonium make arrests and investigate, the Guvners investigate and judge, and the Mercykillers decide punishments and carry them out. do not forget the Mercykillers here, punishment is their roll and if we are concerned about keeping Faction cooperation then we cannot leave them out. They are as important as the rest.

Deltana Grail