Adendums

*Neethanial

Posted by *Neethanial »

A letter arrives, in triplicate. One addressed to the Fraternity at large, one to Administrator Grail, one to the bureau of courts head.

In my recent and lengthy review of the primary laws of Sigil, I have found peculiarities that may or may not need adressed. These are merely suggestions based on experience with laws elsewhere, and how easily loopholes can be exploited. After all, loopholes are a particular talent of mine.
Aide Tess

Crime Spree, to include two or more felonies, as well as indictable offenses.
Murder, to include arranging for the necessary or inevidable death of another, whether by direct orchestration or manipulation.
Treason, to include direct servants of The Lady, and the triad.

Manslaughter, to specify sentient creation as sentient creatures as well.
2 new indictable offenses.
Theft of thought, be it memories, potential creation design, etc. Wording is needed.
Interfering with lawful action with intent to advocate lawlessness or crime.
*Neethanial

Posted by *Neethanial »

Being nothing if not patient, and having plenty time on her hands, this letter is scribed again. This time, however, it's sent to every individual person in the fraternity, regardless of rank.

An additional line is added, however.

You should be careful. What would the commoners think if they saw the need for these grievous oversights to be corrected? I can't protect letters like this once they leave my hands, after all.
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

Caterina would read the letter, stand up from her desk cross her office and pour herself some tea before she sits down to write a response.
wrote:
Aide Tess

Thank you for your suggestions. I feel when we consider them there are a few points of law that must also be considered.  The practice of prosecuting two or more indictable offences as a crime spree is so they can be prosecuted as a felony.  Since felonies will already be treated in such a way altering the law in such a manner would be redundant.

The crime of murder is not currently limited to direct action on the part of any defendant. Under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organisation act (RICO) should a number of parties be implicated in such a crime and sufficient evidence brought to bare to charge one of them said evidence can also be used to charge all parties involved.

With regard to the Lady of Pain and the Dabus, were the Lady to be protected by the law she would have to be considered a legal entity, this would require us to prosecute her were she in breach of the law.  This is something we could not successfully do.  The Lady I am afraid represents a loophole we can not easily close.

Sentient constructs and creations are an interesting case.  I can see the argument behind this, but if the act of destroying one is wilful and premeditated why would we stop at manslaughter? Surely this would actually be murder should the victims sentience be proven beyond reasonable doubt.  Can you cite any legal precedent for this? It would aid greatly in supporting your suggestion.

With regards to thoughts and memories I believe that the theft of intellectual property is already an a crime.  This would be the theft of intellectual property in it's purest form.  I would recommend you
liaise with the Fated's department of patents and trading marks as they will have a good understanding of this and could probably advise you of legal precedent relating to this matter.

Finally conspiring to pervert the course of justice or to deceive the court is already a punishable crime carrying a custodial sentence.

On a personal note I would agree that any leaking of information would be a matter of concern for the Fraternity and would likely see the prosecution of those responsible for such an act.  As I am certain you have been careful in the distribution of any material baring your name on it then I am sure there is no need for you to worry.

If you have further questions please do not hesitate to stop by my office.

May Your Sands Run Slow
Caterina Arnders
Adminstrator I
Bureau of City Courts
*Neethanial

Posted by *Neethanial »

**Nevermind. Go ahead and scrap this, because someone updated the laws with some of my proposed changes anyway.**