The Trial of Hildmor d'Kridis

*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

On the fateful day that marks the beginnings of the newest string of legal proceedings against the notorious Hildmor d'Kridis, the bailiff addresses the crowded courthouse.

"All rise for the Honorable Judge Plargh"

As the attendees rise, a greenish gauth floats into the courtroom with a cadre of Mercykiller and Harmonium guards flanking its movements. A long, judicial looking robe hangs from its lowest two eyestalks with a large Fraternity of Order badge pinned to its front. The aberration addresses the crowd in a gutteral monotone, occasionally pausing to suck in a trail of acidic drool from the corner of its broad mouth.

"Good day.

May the accused, witnesses, prosecution, defense, and all attending common-folk hear my words now, for I am not in the habit of repeating myself. Unless I have given you express permission to speak, you are not to speak or address the court verbally in any way shape or form. Witnesses may of course, answer questions put to them by the prosecution and defense without asking my permission. If you feel the urgent need to relay information to the court while another party has the floor, you may hold up a written note and the bailiff will deliver it to me directly.

Any unrestrained and unauthorized outbursts will result in the immediate detention of the speaker making the outburst by the harmonium, and an automatic finding of guilt for the crime of disturbing the peace and obstructing the justice of these proceedings, and will subsequently be followed by whatever corporal punishment the Mercykillers deem fit."

The gauth's 13 eyes gaze around the courthouse dispassionately.

"You have all been warned. The prosecution and defense will now formally present to me, in paper form, their respective lists of witnesses and evidence."

((Just so I don't have to keep looking back and forth at other posts to be sure no new evidence etc is put forward during the trial))
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

Cratten has arrived to the court out of his "lobster" armor this time, he wears a decorated blue outfit, currently sitting in the prosecution side. He had come to the High Court in good time ahead. He pens down a list of evidences with quill, taking his time to put it in easy readable form, he then holds the list out so that the bailif can come take it from him.
Evidences & Witnesses wrote:Prosecutions Witnesses and Evidences

(( http://z13.invisionfree.com/nwn2planesc ... &p=3500188 ))
List of Current Witnesses:
- Isendis Sunfire
- Khazeet
- Evrin McStickly

List of Current Evidences:
- Sensory Stone "Bribes"
- Sensory Stone "Threats"
- Communication Stone
- Written Testimony of Khazeet (in a large wooden plank)

(( http://z13.invisionfree.com/nwn2planesc ... &p=3501094 ))

Additional Evidences:
- Written testimony of Domiscus, the "Marius"
- Written testimony of Ssithriss, attempts to sell Cagers to slavery
- Written testimony of Evrin McStickly
- Harmonium Written Recording of Verbal Testimony of Abby Winters
- Harmonium Written Recording of Verbal Testimony of Jaina Wumbo

Cratten Erroc
Mover One of Harmonium
Prosecution
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Handed to the Bailiff is the following:

Witnesses

Name: Jaina Wumbo
Name: Nienna.
Name: Trixie

Evidence: (all listed but not handed over)

1 Sensory Stone
1 Communication Stone
Copy of loan application to Fraternity

Motions:

To release on cognizance

To rule inadmissible, testimony from any prosecution witness that gave statement on the slavery incident as Mr. D'Kridis is not under charge for that incident. It holds no bearing in this court and serves only to smear character... not give fact on the current charges.

Motion to recieve all information on the officials and court witnesses that the defendent has been charged with Bribing as that has not been given to the defence.

Official objection to the enforced silence in the court as it will remove the right of Defence and the Prosecution to demand objection to errounous testimony during trial. While the Defence understands the need to demand silence from spectators, it is impossible, and unethical, to demand it from the defence, the prosecution and the charged. We are full participants in the wheels of justice under this court and attempts to silence us outright amounts to abuse of process.
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

The gauth judge scans both lists simultaneously with different eyestalks before rotating in mid-air to address the defense

"Your motion to receive all information on officials and court witnesses that the defendant has been charged with bribing, I deem both poorly worded and imprudent. The court does not exist to satisfy your curiosity, and thus will not provide you with every single fact that pertains to the officials and witnesses in question. If you have a more specific query, you may bring it up at a time when I actually ask for motions.

If either the defense or the prosecution wishes to object to the factual content of a witness' testimony, they may silently raise their hand and I will hear your objection. Rest assured, I will see you. If you cannot prove that the testimony is factually suspect with the evidence you have collected and brought before me, then your objection will be deemed invalid. Waste the court's time with too many invalid objections and there will be consequences.

I do, however, agree with the defense's motion to rule as inadmissible the testimony of Ssithriss unless the prosecution intends to question him with regards to the charges that have actually been brought to court in a productive fashion. Attempted slaving is not among the charges that were brought to the court and discussion of such is as such irrelevant to these proceedings."

Plargh grunts, slurping a bit of drool into its toothy maw.

"The Prosecution is hereby called to make their opening statements."
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

Cratten lifts his hand to sign that he'd like to have his say regarding ruling out the slavery matter... if given permission to speak, he'd say the following, if not given, he'd pen it down and pass it for the bailif to view over as written:
    [i]"Yer honor, I concur the charges were not listed as they were late addition to the evidence. So I shall not object and would like to point out that the testimony of Abby Winters and Jaina Wumbo concern the same subject. As a side notation, this reminds me that I will have to request another trial for next weekend regarding the enslavement case. Unless of course court is willing to add the charges for this trial to save each of our time, and if the defense is willing to oblige to such change as we will indeed go through this in either way be it today or another day."[/i] [/li]
after this he'd settle down to wait for decision and offer a smirk at the defendant side... after asked to make opening statement, he'd once more get up and step infront, Cratten clearly took the court as a stage. He used much strong non-verbal signs as he spoke to emphasis his wordings.
    Yer honor, gentlemen and ladies, this is indictment of bribing, blackmailing ((, enslavement attempt [if his request allowed if not, disregard])) and threatening of several citizen of Cage. D'Kridis has been conducting many such business in his past years and I fear we [i]may[/i] only scratching the surface, but during this trial I will only be acting on behalf of evidence that is provided to the court. This d'Kridis has made our legal system seem like a joke, like we were nothing but bureaucratic wheel obstructing the lawful citizen of Cage while the men with jink walks free when they want. I do my best to represent those whom have fallen victim to the accuseds destructive behavior and have done my best to ensure the safety of all whom have come to ask my aid against the accused and his organizations. The defense will likely rely in their past good deeds, but is this an excuse to walk away from the wrongs they've done lately? Nae, this ain't an excuse to commit crimes, I've done good things in my life, am I allowed to murder? To avoid justice when I've wronged the society? Or maybe I ain't got enough jink to even get through such, but gentlemen such is an outrage to expect... ye do something wrong, ye face the consequences. Not only has the last trial been tampered with bribing as my evidence will prove, but also an attempt was made by d'Kridis to force myself to claim false loyalties to save someone I hold dear. My other evidences will show that he has grown bold as of late to deem judgement how one can live their lives in Cage, one which he holds no authority. Many innocent Cagers whom have wanted no other than to speak truth or to live their lives, this is what I represent today and I only state what I expect the evidence to prove true. [/li]
After this he bowed slightly to judge, and the courtroom, then took his place by the prosecution table.
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

The gauth grunts

"The rules and procedures we follow in this court of law are in place to serve ends far more lofty than convenience. If the prosecution wishes to pursue the charges of attempted enslavement, they are free to do so in another trial."

The gavel levitates from the podium and slams down, emphasizing the finality of the judge's decision.

"The court will now hear the opening statements of the Defense"
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

*nods and then stands when it is his turn. He looks to the judge then those watching in the court*

I'm sure the prosecution has many amusing surprises for us over the course of the trial. I'm sure they will place witness and evidence as proof of wrongdoing... and I'm sure they will attempt to hide the strong arm with which this evidence was collected and forced... but what they really will bring to the court is smoke and mirrors.

While the prosecution will rely on shaky evidence, the defence will show that none of what they bring to the trial is strong enough... or even convincing enough to warrent this time consuming exercise. It has been shown time and time again that the Harmonium and their allies, have targetted Mr. D'Kridis out of aggressive malice and that this attempt is no different.

Regardless on what the prosecution brings forth... this trial is not about Mr. D'Kridis' character. This is not a court of opinion and how the prosecution feels about the defendent holds absolutely no bearing on proceedings. This is a court of fact and we intend to show that the prosecution has little to no fact... and merely lashes out in dislike for the defendent. His opening statement has already proven to the court that this trial is personal to the prosecution which merely illustrates the intents of charges.

This is a personal vendetta bourn of personal feelings about character and reputation and not of factual proof. We will show that the prosecution merely wastes the courts time with such malicious witch hunts.

*He then nods to the judge and sits*
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

"As a preliminary warning before we proceed to questioning the first witness, I would like to remind both councilors to keep their questions and statements on-point and relevant. This is a court of fact, not opinion or conjecture."

Plargh licks his teeth with his four tongues before proceeding, his many eyes sweeping the room.

"The Prosecution will now bring forth its first witness."
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

"Thank ye, yer honor, I'd like to call forth Evrin McStickly as the first witness, however if yer honor allows, I have a special request to cast a spell to ward McStickly from fear, as he is quite afraid of the accused. The court may choose impartial spellcaster to do such if the request is allowed, if not, we will proceed without." he'd wait until Evrin McStickly would come, and that the spell is cast to ward him from fear if allowed, if not he'd still proceed similarly.

"To be noted for the court, Evrin McStickly acted as the lead prosecution in the last trial of accused, I ain't pressing the previous case judgement, merely the case that accused bribed our witness... Evrin McStickly, would ye please tell with yer own words what occurred for the court?"
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

At a gesture from one of the gauth's eyestalks, a Guvner cleric walks up to the podium, holds up a scroll of "Remove Fear" for its perusal, then turns to read from the scroll, casting the ward on McStickly

"Carry on"