Factol Hashkar's Address to New Members

mimifearthegn
Site Admin

Posted by mimifearthegn »

The Fraternity regularly schedules entry exams, and Factol Hashkar prides himself on the address he gives to every batch of new members. It goes something like this. . .
Congratulations. You have passed the preliminary tests, so you can now join the Fraternity of Order. The following points some find difficult to grasp, so allow me to brief you in the clearest possible fashion.

Section (1): Our Goal. As you obviously know, we dedicate ourselves to law and knowledge.
Subsection (A): Laws are representations of power.
Point (1): Laws govern the lives of every being
Point (2): Laws order the actions of every thing
Subsection (B): Knowledge is power.
Point (1): With knowledge comes understanding.
Point (2): With understanding we gain the ability to manipulate things around us.
Conclusion: Knowledge of law, then, is the ultimate power.
Point (1): Everything is covered by laws (See Subsection (A), Points (1), and (2)).
Point (2): Knowledge of all law is the power to manipulate all things.

Now that we have established the importance of learning all laws, let us continue by examining the different types of laws. First, consider the minor or "man-made" laws, often called Rules. Rules govern how living beings should act. Various people or organizations have discovered and continue to discover them. Most people think they create Rules, but that point is subject to debate; strong evidence supports the theory that all laws exist at all times, and that some simply have not yet been discovered or properly understood. Establishing a Rule means that another law, or part of one, has been discovered. Each new Rule imposes a little more order upon the multiverse. The more laws we uncover, the more Rules we cause to be written, the more we control the multiverse.

After Rules come the true Laws, sometimes called laws of nature, often considered laws the powers make. Again, whether they create such Laws or merely uncover them remains open to debate (one in which I will happily engage). For the most part, Laws remain immutable, except by the powers. However, once we understand them, we can use forces such as magic to manipulate them. Some of these Laws seem simple enough, such as the Law stating that every action has a reaction; under certain circumstances, this reaction is both equal and opposite. By extension, the Law of action and reaction applies to all things, not simply to physical forces. For example, in humanoid interactions, an action has a reaction, but it need not be equal or opposite. Instead, a reaction can perturb the entire mass of action into another direction, until a conglomerate is reached.

Finally, above the multitude of important Laws rise the Great Axioms of the Multiverse, sometimes thought of as ultimate truths. Axioms are verily immutable; no one can even manipulate them. They simply exist, and they can be learned. Every person, every power, every animal, every object, every place - they all fall subject to Axioms. One cannot avoid Axioms, neither known nor unknown. while we have many theories about the Axioms, we know very little of them. I believe I know one Axiom, perhaps two, which I will perhaps describe at a later date. One cannot describe an Axiom in the short time now available to us. One may need knowledge of an Axiom to become a power, and one who understands all the Axioms will rule the multiverse.

Rules, Laws, and Axioms. In keeping with the Rule of Threes (inappropriate named, you will notice) these are the three types of laws you will learn within the Fraternity of Order. The more you know, the more power you wield, and the higher you will rise within our proud organization.

One other item I would like to make perfectly clear. Some detractors claim we learn the laws simply so we can understand how to break them. This allegation is untrue. Members of the Fraternity of Order do not break laws, ever. However we can, by understanding laws, comprehend their limits. In other words, we learn how to avoid them while staying within them.

I look forward to your future discoveries and studies, Aides of the Fraternity of Order. You will receive assignments suitable to your talents within the week.
Of course, the actual lectures can be longer. Much longer. Hashkar has been known to keep initiates for hours. But he always covers the same general points.
Simsalabim

Posted by Simsalabim »

After passing the entry exam, Tindra joins the others new members for factol Hashkar's address. The silver haired elf listens with impassive and unwavering attention, and once the speech is concluded she seeks a quiet spot within the Bureau of Research to return to her preliminary research plans of other-Sigil.
- Tindra Tir'ein