Winter Court Situation Report

*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

Namer Nica is seen going through archived files in the Barracks for hours during her off-duty time. Gathering notes and compiling them into a single report. The final report is a twelve page summary consisting of a couple of separate drafts pending on a high-up approval, it is labeled as urgent. The report is sent to Mover Tonat Shar & Measure Chari as she had been instructed of said two to be superiors on the case.

The main points of the report details...
    "...The disturbances around the city of Sigil seem to be revolving around the politics of Fey Courts, and around entity called the [i]Pale Prince[/i]. "The Winter Fey" would seem to be the central source of trouble and threat to the Sigil safety, as they have had the audacity to assault the city of Sigil. Motives to these attacks are in some cases still uncertain, but a few reports of artifact thefts by force has made those a strong reason. Alternative reasons may also include personal vendetta against individuals called Miranda & Namer Junathoraxus, however it has been promptly claimed by many that these reasons are merely pretext. Pretext or not, it should not be dismissed in the threat assessment as being likely to cause or incite hostilities nearby to maintain the pretext. Another detail of note seems to be that a soul of the loved one of the Pale Prince may be held captive, or otherwise trapped within the demiplane of Dread. It is worth mentioning that so far no connection between the attacks and this lost soul have been established. Further of note is that the Pale Prince is an arch fey of sufficient power to be unable to act directly within the city of Sigil, however the staged proxy war appears to not be above them either..." [/li]
The report later on moves to make a threat assessment based on attacks of the past.
    [size=75][b][u]Threat Assessment[/u][/b][/size] [size=50]by Namer Nica Brianna Kelter[/size] [b]Unknown Access Points[/b] The greatest threat to the city of Sigil remains the uncertainty of where attacks will take place. This puts the civilians at risk and makes it difficult to mitigate the attacks effects sufficiently. The Fey have seemed to stage an attack by a cloud of snow followed by a number of Fey and shadow alike. None that I have interviewed, nor do the archive reports seem to detail the exact nature of how the Fey make their appearance. Namer Junathoraxus spoke about portals, which are still unconfirmed, are in the Under Sigil. But there is also the Beastland portals. General consensus appears to be that there are multiple entrances making it difficult to watch all of them with so many uncertainties. [b]Civilian Casualties[/b] Second greatest threat is the danger to Civilians. Believability of the Harmonium is suffering by these attacks as our strategies have not adapted sufficiently to match the conditions the foe are forcing our hands into going to. There needs to be taken further efforts to prevent civilian casualties. [b]Artifacts[/b] Trinkets of barely elaborated powers have been stolen by the Winter Court, and these trinkets seem to get ever more mysterious by the absence of information on what powers they bestow to their users. However the Fey have had the audacity to make direct attacks even against the Triad to gain access to some of them. Their capabilities need to be catalogued and counter strategies formed to prevent further thefts, and mitigating the effects of these potential weapons of destructive capabilities. [b]Fey citizen & Mercenaries[/b] The last threat remains in the lines of original citizen. There remains an unknown amount of Fey citizen within the city whose allegiances can only be questioned. It would be in the best interest of the Harmonium to learn about all the Fey citizen of Sigil. The other aspect is mercenaries whom may align with the Winter Court, the most recent reports know of one individual that has done so, a man called "Nathan" whom is wanted for questioning. [/li]
There is a special remark about Namer Junathoraxus in her report as well...
    ...Namer Junathoraxus of the Harmonium has a plan to create a small task force consisting of Triad members, Hiromo clan members and planeswalkers. His goal is to try to recover lost artifacts, another Fey faction, name of which did not come up during our dialogue, has promised to dispose of these artifacts safely. I question however the allegiance of Namer Junathoraxus, he has many organizations divided, Harmonium, the Hiromo Clan and even some Beastlands Brux attempt to "save the Fey", though what others have called "lay claim to parts of the layer by force". He has also said that his lands have been laid to ruin by the Winter Court. This amount of divided allegiances seems to be reflect to the decision to make a secret raid with the aid of undisciplined Planeswalkers, and allying with a Fey group, all the while the primary duty of protecting the city of Sigil seems to be a side-note. Their allegiance remains a question to me, but so far in the absence of direct evidence, it remains but a suspicion. Shorter, metaphorical, leash may be required to keep an eye out on their activities and political involvement upon Fey affairs. [/li]
Final part before attachments was a list of suggestions for a court of action, there is a closure at the end that requested an approval and she'd make it happen if need be.
    [size=75][b][u]Counter Strategies[/u][/b][/size] [size=50]by Namer Nica Brianna Kelter[/size] [b]Patrol Routine Adjustments[/b] The patrols have been increased [i]currently[/i] by the Harmonium as a counter measure for the attacks. However I believe this may be a mistake. The more of our troops we have tied into patrolling streets, the less we have at the ready to respond when an attack is imbound. I believe the better option is to reduce the number of Harmonium officers in the patrols to keep a broad presence and scouting capability, but also invest into a Fast Response Unit, a point which will be detailed in next part. If we reduce the number of Harmonium officers in live patrols, it may inspire anti-Harmonium behavior as the immediate threat of the patrols would be reduced, however I believe this is only a marginal increase and a necessary one for the threat at hand. New primary task for the street patrols in designated areas should not be the first response to attack, but rather to alert the Fast Response Unit of the local ward, and to attempt to mitigate civilian deaths by rerouting civilians and helping to evacuate. [b]Fast Response Unit[/b] Seeing all the reports, the capability to respond to these attacks has been limited. A patrol here or there has been insufficient to resolve the attacks and suffered heavy casualties. I believe it would be better to make a sizable and centralized fast response unit for each ward and develop a better methods to get these out there fast. They should be equipped with cold iron weapons in order to better answer the danger. Heavily armed, fast moving and quick to alert. All of this would require additional training, which will ensure that the initial fast response forces may not be up to par in the next attack to come, but it should pay off if this conflict prolongs. [b]Inter-Factional Affairs[/b] Our numbers may be many, but it is unrealistic to assume that we could muster the numbers to have a strong presence everywhere. Rather than divide the Harmonium units to guard every warehouse and civilians, I believe it would be wiser to issue the Factions to increase their own safety efforts around their own faction warehouses, and make security efforts to either relocate powerful artifacts to safer location, but also ensure that any Fey personnel should have at best limited access to these to ensure that intelligence information for the Winter Court is harder to come by. Additionally we should call in favors with the Fated in order to get them to catalogue us every Fey citizen of the city of Sigil, and see if they can find past ties to Fey Courts on some of them. With this we may find spies or suspects to question or keep eyes on. [b]Public Safety Announcement[/b] It is way part the time for Harmonium to issue a public announcement for the citizen about the Winter Court threat, they need to know when to head to cover and what to do incase they are in a combat zone. This will help to mitigate the civilian casualties, but it should be noted that it may also increase citizen defectors for the benefit of Winter Court, it may also incite hostilities toward the fey population of Sigil. I would estimate the benefits far outrun the negatives in this case regardless, it is our duty to provide safety for the citizen, and this is a means to show that measures are being taken Note the attached draft. [b]Investigation[/b] The final part that is crucial is to find out more about the Artifacts, owners of the artifacts should be contacted and have them detail the powers these trinkets hold as to re-evaluate the threat they may pose. Additionally we should take stronger measures to try to find out where the Winter Fey are coming from. If we can block or predict locations, it will help the defensive measures immensively and less forces would be tied to the matter. [/li]
There is a single attachment, a S.I.G.I.S. announcement by the Harmonium, it is pending for approval of her superiors and remains unsent until then.
wrote:[align=center]Beware the Winter Court Attacks
Harmonium Public Safety Announcement

The City of Sigil has been under regular attacks by the fey faction called Winter Court. The Harmonium is taking protective measures to mitigate the effect of these attacks, but these attacks come unannounced and against civilian targets. There are however some signs every civilian should be able to recognize prior to the fullscale attack: sudden decrease in temperature and snowy fog. When you see this in your immediate vicinity, take caution, head to safety and find the closest Harmonium to report your findings.

Anyone with information about these attacks should report to the Harmonium.

Peace will be restored.[/align]
*Ariella

Posted by *Ariella »

Namer Nica,

The is excellent work, It is good to see we have new recruits willing to take the initiative. Continue on like this and you will climb the ranks in no time at all. You are authorized to send forth the public announcement. The other aspects of your report will be reviewed and decided upon at a later date, we will continue to keep you posted. Keep up the good work.

Signed

Mover Tonat Shar
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

Her reply brisk, short and to the point this time around.
wrote:Mover Tonat Shar,

Thank you sir! I will continue to fulfill my duty.

Nica Brianna Kelter, Namer.
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

With the recent complaint in the S.I.G.I.S. namer Nica does not wait for her superiors to get involved and instead sorts out the version with the S.I.G.I.S. officials to get a corrected version out into press and pays for the loss on income from her own pocket.
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

Namer Nica marches into the Barracks, her armor dented, blackened by spell burns and pierced in many parts. Shield had two arrows still impaled and attached on it. Grimy from dried blood and smudges of gray dirt. However the skin visible from the damaged armor seemed unbroken, mended after the fight. It was fairly obvious she had been through a major fight.

Fairly urgent to file in report, only to be approached by her direct superiors, a stern expression reflecting that they wanted to have a word, and not a good kind. "Namer Nica. Follow." Just as the day couldn't get any easier as Measure Trawn was leading her to his office. "Sit. Down." the Measure emphasized both words with the tone of authority. With military precision she obliged, not liking where this was going, a shitty day gone to worse, she decided to inquire "Sir, I-" only to be interrupted by the Measure. "You will speak when given permission to." biting her teeth she obliged once more.

The Measure leaning against the back of his seat. Taking a folder to his desk. "Do you know what this is?" rather than granting Nica to reply he proceeded, opening the folder and taking it to his hand "Do you have any idea what you have been doing lately?" to which Nica attempted to reply "Sir, w-" once more interrupted by her superior. "You are no longer authorized to wear that badge. Hand. it. over." calm and cold as his tone was. Nica, stunned, no... petrified. All of her hardwork, gone to waste? "Give. Me. Your. Badge." he emphasized each word.

Hesitant, Nica removed her badge from her belt, giving it one last glance... strength drained from her usually so proud form as she placed the desk, the knocking sound against the wooden desk only sound in the room. Measure Trawn took the badge, giving a judging look at Nica from whom her title was stripped. "But.. sir... I..." her words stuck in throat "what happens now?" Trawn letting the situation sink in silence for while before his hand reached to a drawer on the side. Taking something out. "Now you get back to work and keep doing an astounding job, Notary One." he tossed a new badge in a loop to her, a wry and amused smirk spreading to his face, cherishing the ever growing puzzlement and slow realization that dawned to Nica.

Though Nicas idea of Trawn being an ass hadn't changed during that transition, it was now just a different kind of ass. Turns out there are more than one type, a discovery surprising even to her. "You sir are an ass!" she was quick to say, although her tone more relieved and joking. Measure Trawn laughed loudly "You fell so hard, that even Asmodeus would say "Damn!" " they laughed together. She still thought he was an ass, but one she'd not exchange to any other superior.

After the stressful situation she got her armor and shield back to being repaired, meaning she'd be out of duty for a day at least until they'd be all sorted up. That just left some good time to write a proper report and some R&R.
wrote:Fey Attack: Foul Olde Spirit Inn, Guild & Market Ward
Notary 1, Nica Brianna Kelter

Earlier today an explosion occurred within the Foul Olde Spirit Inn, I arrived after the initial fire had been extinguished. A group of planewalkers had rushed in before me. The inn owner, Muriel, briefed that the inn had been attacked by fiends and some of the patrons and employee was captured, they had left into the cellar. Within the cellar was a large tanar'ri force at the ready to face the attack, vrock and succubus mainly. They were dealt with relatively quickly. The prisoners were no where to be seen, but there was a portal leading to Niflheim.

Following the trail of blood, it took us into an old crypt, there were human bodies that had been around for month or few, seeming to have been a place of operation for a while already. Another fight with fiends started, again no major difficulties. We proceeded further until I heard discussion from nearby room, instructing people to halt and listen in as to learn more. I heard two voices: a male and a female one. The male did not sound content of the location nor about a "deal". The female one said something about deal with the Pale Prince of the winter court. However at this point a planewalker known already to me for several accounts of minor attempts of distracting while on duty, decided to open the door and say "Oh hello". ((It was emphasized strongly, suggesting her emotions and opinion spilled over to the report)) Failure to find out further lead into instant escalation of fighting. Winter Fey and Tanar'ri both attacked us at the very instant.

This fight was substantially harder, but we were victorious. Still no sign of the kidnapped captives, we proceeded onward, following noises nearby. It sounded as if chanting of a spell or ritual was on the way. I issued an order to intercept, though few disagreed with my decision, my rationale stated that our presence was already known and whatever the ritual had been, could've meant the end of us all.

Larger number of winter fey emerged with additional tanar'ri. Their positions were strong and were able to inflict heavy damage to us. We were victorious and only one shadowy fey form remained. Hiding behind some kind of barrier, dead patrons and Rina, an employee of the inn also there, she was still alive. For now. Making a calculated risk, I ordered the barrier to be taken down. It was a mistake, one which we paid heavily. I do not know how long had transpired as I was put unconscious almost instantly the barrier was down. Once I was up, the battle was already over, I still don't know what exactly had transpired inbetween, and as I was about to hold a stern discussion, a fist may've been intended to be involved, the ritual was completed... It was likely to have been caused by one of the planewalkers, a balor and another group of fiends emerged causing further harm. While the balor was defeated, it wasn't entirely put down. It fled with a teleport and is still at large.

The mission to release hostages succeeded only barely. But the mission itself was a failure. However we now know the Fey are aligned with tanar'ri, even if the exact nature of their deal is uncertain.

Harmony through might,

Nica Brianna Kelter, Notary One.
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

Another massive report is filed by Notary One, Nica. It is titled "The Pale Prince & The Fey Politics", on the front are listed the interviewed sources: Tess, Trissa & Aleis d'Cannith. All of which are specifically noted to be Fey. While not deliberately expressed for potential to distrust, it is implicitly left for the reader to make the conclusion.

This report is another large stack of papers with exhaustive details highlighted in here...
    [b][size=75][u]The Origins of the Pale Prince[/u][/size][/b] [size=50]Source: Aleis d'Cannit. Retelling: Notary One, Nica Brianna Kelter[/size] To truly understand the nature of this danger, it is best to know the story that has brought it into the streets of Sigil. To truly comprehensively understand it is best the Fey factions are divided roughly: Summer & Spring = Seelie Court. Autumn & Winter = Unseelie Court. The story begins ten millenias ago when the Pale Prince was but a [i]Prince of the Summer[/i], perhaps even the greatest of their warriors. Triumphant in many battles against the Unseelie, until something happened, a taboo by the fey traditions, he fell in a mutual love with a warrior of the Winter, called Vanim. This taboo caused the two of them to withdraw and seek the aid of someone called the Raven Queen, which seems to represent a third faction, an unaligned one, in all of this. A deal was struct for the exchange of their divine essence, they'd be granted mortality. However a third person seeked to gain the love of Vanim, a mortal man and in secrecy offered multitudes of souls, requesting to take the place of the Prince of the Summer. The deal was corrupted. The mortal man and the Winter Warrior, Vanim were casted to a prime, away from the Prince of the Summer. This betrayal is told to have turned him vengeful. This is the turning point where he became what we now know as the Pale Prince. His vengeance was against mortals, a vow was cast to end all mortal life in an eternal winter, as a homage for his love. They killed the lord of the Frost Fortress, taking it to themselves, ascending. A goal of eternal winter. In there they remained for ten millenias, leaving only when ordered to. Except for now. It is yet unknown what the reasons for this change are. It is worth noting that the Winter Court is not aligned with the Pale Prince, rather it is further internal struggle where the Pale Prince is trying to take over the Winter Fey. Attacks in the Sigil would seem to be a side show in the larger scale Fey politics. The story of their loved one is unknown, however there are beliefs that this Vanim is trapped in the demiplane of Dread. There appears to be doubts that the Pale Princes motives are to retrieve her. One could speculate that they would have the power to achieve it if they tried. [/li]
There are also practical parts implemented
    [b][size=75][u]The Stolen Artifacts[/u][/size][/b] [b]Snowflake Orb[/b] This artifact is in-fact fragmented to six pieces. The lore describes it as the [i]first[/i] of snowflakes to come to existence, a physical manifestation of winter. Were this artifact be pieced together, the Pale Prince would be capable of creating the eternal winter they desire. However it would seem that the Seelie fey have taken counter measures in their own internal political struggles. One of the fragments have been secured by Queen Titania of the Fey. However I have been informed that even in fragments a powerful individual such as the Pale Prince, may be able to utilize powers bestowed upon them. Exact nature is uncertain. Speculatively we can [i]assume[/i] empowered versions of frost talents. [b]The Raven Queens Sword[/b] As the name implies, this is a possession of the Raven Queen. Raven Queen while unaligned in these fey politics has issued a threat against the city of Sigil to steal ten thousand souls, [i]if[/i] this sword is not returned to her. Power of this sword is two-fold: First it is an augmented version of ancient necromancy made of material naturally stealing souls. Second is that it can cause those in immediate vicinity to go into murderous fervor by its owners desire, a counter to this is magic known as Mind Blank, but only temporarily. My suggestion if faced against the wielder; shoot them from the distance if they refuse to yield it is too dangerous to take risks. The sword has last been seen in the possession of Lucelle, a silver dragon aligned to the Society of Sensation. I urge an immediate demand for the Society of Sensation to return this sword, or be held responsible of the potential loss of souls imposed to ten thousand Sigilians. [/li]
Later on there were also...
    [b][size=75][u]Cold Iron & Counter Strategies Against the Fey[/u][/size][/b] Cold Iron is known to be effective against the Fey, undeniably so. I've witnessed the effect raw cold iron has to a bare fey skin. Acting in a similar way to acid does to their otherwise naturally resilient skin. I've also been lead to believe that sound of a cold iron bell can incapacitate Fey within hearing range, but that in doing such "weapons", it may rile up the ire of Fey still unaligned or in direct opposition with the Pale Prince. While I believe that they may have strategic and tactical advantage for the Harmonium in these, it may be for the best to use them sparingly and only against known rogue elements away from the civilian population to avoid further escalation of conflict. Furthermore the Cold Irons presence can cause nausea, disorientation and restlessness if subjected in excess. I've been informed a prison where bars were made of cold iron would be equal to torture for the fey in such regard. Mundane iron bars have been expressed to be enough to deter and hold the freedom loving species at bay. My rationale against Cold Iron cells is from practical point of view: Fey cannot be killed through mundane means, giving them a means to suicide, and they will if subjected to torture-comparable conditions for long enough, simply by throwing themselves against the bars that hurt them. Meaning the cell designed to hold them in, is also granting them easy means to escape it. However, it will take them approximately one year to reform, so as an immediate threat they will be out of the commission. Yet unable to provide information during questioning as well. [/li]
Lastly there are scattered updates and notes...
    [b]Winter Fey Methods of Entrance[/b] I have been informed that the followers of the Pale Prince may have in their lines entities capable of manipulating and finding temporary portals; capabilities not dissimilar to the Gatecrashers. However may work with different names such as horizonwalkers. As a strategic issue this means it will be futile to try to prevent the fey from entering the Sigil, unless we can eliminate them first. . . . . . . . . . [b]Fey Mentality to Death[/b] Something I discovered during my discussion with the fey was their disregard to the value of mortal life. Their perspective of life is jaded by their own immortality, and the mortal afterlife, one which is denied from the fey. This likely stems down from the lack of understanding how the single chance to accumulate life experience is worth ever more when it ends for the mortals, rather than acknowledgement of the continuation afterwards for eternity. Such an evaluation should be kept in mind when facing Fey opposition, for they are unlikely to feel the need for mercy in contrast, for the lack of feeling that lives are being as valuable as they are. Take no risks when facing a Fey, for they will not be killed for good unlike us mortals. If you can capture them risk free, it is of course better. . . . . . . [b]The Pale Prince & Tanar'ri Alliance[/b] The exact nature of this alliance is still uncertain, however it has come to my knowledge that the contact between these two has been disrupted by the latest attack. The Harmonium should be getting documentation to explain better the nature in the coming day. A silver lining exists in that they both are vulnerable to cold iron. Weapons which should be granted to at least some units as a response to this threat. [/li]
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

Addendum: Fey Incursion at the Foul Olde Spirit Inn
Notary 1, Nica Brianna Kelter

I have recently gained copy of the document recovered from the site by Aleis d'Cannith after the mess last time. Against our original arrangement where the Harmonium was to gain the original, she had decided the need to keep them and give us the copy instead. Reminding them of the prospects of authority to gain them by legal path, they deemed to make it a legal fight. I decided to settle with comparing the copy they had made to the original to verify that they are about as well copied as they can. However I am not specialized into scribe matters.

What I have learned from the Fey whom are thus far cooperating, to extent, is that this document is written in an old dragonic dialect, a language I don't know in any form. The bias of the fey against Namer Junathoraxus may prevent them from seeing the possible benefit of consulting a dragon about dragonic dialect.

I have taken the initiative to give the copy for Namer Junathoraxus to decipher for the best of his capability and file in a report of their findings.

Additionally the Fey have inclined to form an expedition to a plane called Krynn, for some sort of deciphering tool. I was invited and there is room for another representative of the Triad. They urged that the Namer Junathoraxus may only make things worse. I believe their bias is clouding their judgement, however the mission will be a failure without rudimentary capability to cooperate, which they unlikely would be capable to, if the Namer Junathoraxus were to come.

The team taking on the expedition will be six people, so far it'd seem to be: Me (Notary One, Nica), Aleis d'Cannith, Tess, Altair (still pending on trial for disturbance in the Sigil. Case number 5542. Are they allowed to leave the Sigil while on bail?), Factotum Argent of the Sign of One.

We may wish to extend an invitation to the other members of Triad to have wider coverage and show our capability of forming alliances. The Mercykillers have been active in the past and sending them an invitation to allow a single delegate join this trip may prove useful.

Do I have a permission to invite Mercykillers for this endeavor?

Notary One Nica would then go give Namer Junathoraxus the said cryptic document.

((ask details from DM Ariella about it!))
*b00seven

Posted by *b00seven »

Upon arriving in the barracks, The dragon Junathoraxus assumes an appropriate form and takes the missive written in the old Draconic Dialect into a well lit private office to examine it.
*Ariella

Posted by *Ariella »

As the others had suggested the ancient dialect is impossible to translate excluding three words "Rite Soul Dominion" These three words appear several times throughout the text.

Viann
wrote:Notary 1, Nica Brianna Kelter

Attempt to cooperate with the group and invite a member of the Mercykillers if we have no one fit to attend. If at any point their actions would seem a threat to Sigil you have authority to act however, as three members of the group belong to three different factions attempt to avoid a political incident.

Factol Sarin
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

((soooo sorry about the delay on this post. It has been a long week so I've been taking it easy on the server side. Should have more time this weekend though! ^_^ ))

Krynn Expedition Update
Notary One, Nica Brianna Kelter

The expedition to the Krynn took a couple of days with the planewalkers. A few things were discovered during the travel;

First, there were a large number of undead we encountered, whom were seemingly promised an army by the Fey.

Second, there was one vampire we encountered, one that was a powerful threat. They were disposed, for good, however we discovered six coffins. The implication is that there is five more vampires of power that may become a trouble later on.

Third, regarding the document, we found two spells. The first is a "Soul Dominion" which is a spell far more complex than normal practitioners of Arcane, Divine or even Psionics are able to utilize. It allows someone to control another soul anywhere in the world, it was left a little unclear whether this means within the same plane or even through planar borders. The condition is that they must've met.

Second part of that spell is a blood rite to enhance magic with the utilization of living sacrifices. Argent, Tess and Aleis are currently working on the translation, but the running theory suggests that with these two combined, for each single sacrifice, ten people would be effected by the former spell.

Of course letting the prospects set in, this would create an immense threat to all efforts to defend the city of Sigil and should not be taken lightly.

I will try to find consults to discuss counter measures for something like this.