Officer Missing: Bruce Baxter

*Bruce Baxter

Posted by *Bruce Baxter »

A complaint has been lodged against Bruce Baxter for failing to show up to his patrol post in the Lower Ward, and to relieve the previous officer of his duty. Prior to that, he indicated he was going to conduct some research in the Barracks, but he did not show up for that either.
*Bruce Baxter

Bruce Baxter has not reported for duty for 3 days, nor responded to multiple requests for correspondence. The Harmonium are now considering this a missing persons investigation. He himself was known to be conducting a missing persons investigation prior to his disappearance.

Bruce's files on his previous investigation have been authorized for release for perusal to any officer willing to search for him.

*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

With the S.I.G.I.S. article by the name "Lyre", and the complaint lodged now that she had incentives to check on the Notary that wasn't her direct underling. The notary certainly wasn't around.

There were few things that were suspect about the S.I.G.I.S. article:
- Why did they presume the disappearances were tied to one another?
- How did they learn about this Harmonium notary's disappearance, before official reports?
- How did they know this notary by name?

"Lyre" sounded like they knew much more about the case than their brief article gave out. Or they were as much an "instrument" as their name implied. So far there existed no evidence of real foul play in the disappearance, suspicious certainly, but this article writer had taken a hefty leap to conclude it. Of course the S.I.G.I.S. was also rather unpredictable and unreliable source of information, it could just seek better sales by making bold and controversial claims.

Besides the S.I.G.I.S. considerations however, there's more logical steps to be taken first. Nica made a formal request to see latest reports and casefiles that Notary Bruce Baxter was working on. Whatever was on those files had a high chance of being tied to their disappearance. They certainly did not appear the type whom would just take and leave without mention, based on the brief dialogue she had, had with him.
*Bruce Baxter

Nica was granted immediate access to Bruce's case files.
*Viann

Posted by *Viann »

((Sorry, I don't know how I missed that initially in the earlier post :lol: ))

Nica looks through the casefiles. The first and foremost that struct was that it was a missing person report. A third one now. Although only two potentially connected, no reason to draw conclusions without clear evidences. Bruce and Raziel had however both gone missing by the Hall of Records... and this Drake, also disappeared in the Clerks Ward. Even if the cases weren't tied, there is certainly a cause for alarm in the Clerks Ward to increase patrols to mitigate the possibilities for this.

She made a note for herself about this and started to draft a report of it for her superiors.
wrote:Request for Patrol Increase: Clerks Ward
by Nica Brianna Kelter, Measure One

Recently several people have gone missing around the Clerk's Ward, this includes Drake, Raziel Trener and Notary Bruce Baxter. Two whose last known place, or destination, was the Hall of Records, third of whose last known place was Cookies restaurant, and destination the House of Healing.

For the safety of the public, it would seem beneficial to increase the patrols around the Clerks Ward for the time being. And the patrols should never travel alone, as one of the victims is one of our own. This would not only increase the safety of our patrols, but also the likelyhood of gathering more intelligence details of the occurances, incase of an incident.

The secondary benefit is a greater visibility of Harmonium, that may bolster the feel of safety, now that S.I.G.I.S. has been utilized in a manner that could for some Cagers lead to concerns of safety otherwise.
After she made that, she'd again focus on the investigation at hand. This is now two people who have gone missing in regards to what is called as "Chronomancy" by the report, by logic she could guess that it is "chrono-" in relation to time, "-mancy" by means of.

With that Nica started to rummage through her earlier notes about the Raziel case. In particular the books that she had studied...
wrote:1. Documentation Tips for the Modern Bureaucrat
2. Time Management for the Busy Blood
3. A History of Planar Magic - Comprehensive Textbook, Fourth Edition
4. Rare Spell Components
By means of time she'd summarize her very basic assumption, referring it to the book name options. Of the books Raziel had taken the second one just first time this time... that would mean the potential kidnapper in this theory would have had to be around. The third however, Raziel had checked out previously already. In theory giving more time to plan an attack at a later date.

It did connect all the dots. Nica leaned back on her chair, contemplating it further. Of course, all of this could be coincidental. It still did not explain how the S.I.G.I.S. reporter knew of connections. And it's difficult to conclusively prove it without gaining a tunnel vision to other potential theories. After all this Drake could've been caught, killed or other for completely unrelated reason, and the investigating Harmonium member was a victim of the cover up, leaving Raziel a completely isolated case. It wasn't implausible either really, missing people aren't that rare incidents in the city of Sigil after all. For now, she'd have to take a mental step back and push it back as a theory, compelling as it may be, rather than proof. However it was also the only theory currently to follow...