Report: Breech of Contract

Krilari

Posted by Krilari »

By Sigil's midday peak the Harmonium Barracks would be visited by a Tiefling woman, Sato Usi'dora introducing herself as an Aide to the Fraternity of Order who is in look for legal resolution to a contract gone awry. Having gifted a Stone Golem out on contract the night prior, she now reports having eye-witness accounts of the Client of said contract trying to sell said golem to other active vendors within the city - an act that nullifies the aforementioned agreement and demands recompense.

Citing her own scrying efforts, Usi'dora can confirm that the individual in question has no known name however he is known to dwell within the Plane of Shadows, possibly as a hideaway from the other scam attempts he was known to pull. Formally she requests aid from the Harmonium in the retrieval of aforementioned golem and the application of justice as the Faction deems fit.
Taurus Daggerknight

Posted by Taurus Daggerknight »

Usi'dora's formal complaint is noted down by an officer on duty. As the Guvner concludes her report, the officer asks if she has a copy of the original contract to provide.

Word is also sent out for on-duty Harmonium to look for the accused, and bring him in for questioning.
I just want to kill monsters and get prizes for it. Is that REALLY so much to ask for?
Krilari

Posted by Krilari »

Usi'dora was more than happy to provide her own copy of the agreed upon contract, the contents of which were by large an extrapolation of legal jargon that ranged somewhere between Impressive and Completely Expected, considering her ranking within the Fraternity of Order. Regardless, the specifics of the agreement were carefully sculpted to waive responsibility from Usi'dora or her holdings should her golems become accomplice to any illicit actions. Furthermore the contract explains the terms and conditions of the agreement, including the terms for the golem's rental as well as what fee is to be levied should it break or become lost. Within these details are the specifics that the golems are intended to be utilized as safe guardians, and no action taken by the client should intentionally undermine this intention. Actions such as intentionally damaging the golem, utilizing it for personal gains beyond self-protection, selling it, or otherwise dispersing it among uncontracted parties are grounds to render the agreement null and void, and calls for the immediate return of the golem at earliest convenience, to be enacted by either Sato Usi'dora herself, or a party henceforth representing her.

At the end of the scrawling text that grew so narrow that it likely gave the poor Harmonium a headache, was a set of signatures. One bore the Tiefling's name in flowing script, while the second was a wild and fruitless scrawling that failed to amount to any tangible name.
Gadwin

Posted by Gadwin »

Notary Reina gave a long-winded report detailing the events of a minor dispute between a few walker merchants of the bazaar and a Shadow Genasi with no name. After hours of back and forths between the accused and listening to eyewitness reports, she concludes the long-winded report of events transpired with the following:

"..the signer of the contract returned the golem to the contract holder after much discussion, and she does not wish to press charges for violation of contract as a result. Conversely, the accused levied claims of crimes done to him in turn by parties who were not the contract holder, and this too was investigated.

The accused nameless one is said to be and acts much the part of a con artist of sorts, which while not illegal inherently, is worth mentioning since they refer to their one-horned deer that had been painted white as a unicorn.

The planeswalker known as "Ritz" has admitted, of her own accord, to using the "Darkness" spell to take The Nameless One's wounded deer to someone who might aid it back to health, against his wishes. Ritz has paid a fine of one-hundred gold pieces for their theft of a possession, and unlawful use of magic without consent.

Thereafter, Ritz had taken the deer to one "Adorabella Goldworthy", who healed it from wounds caused by the low grade attempt at passing a common animal off as an extraplanar rarity, and thereafter released it within the Beastlands some days prior. As there is no real way for the deer to be found within an infinite expanse, I leave proper reparations for this minor claim in the hands of the concerned parties first and foremost, and if an agreement cannot be reached, then I will oversee things from there and pass what needs be passed along the Triad.

Additionally, I would like to give formal praise to Namer Wenen, who was asked to assist within the questioning side of things, and did so flawlessly. For what little consideration it may be worth, my opinion is that she could stand to be promoted, given her time of service and quality of work encountered this cycle."

-Notary Four, Reina
A Troll

Posted by A Troll »

*The very same shady folk who kept the notary busy for a few hours a couple cycles before returns to the barracks with a clerk to help him write the following report. Although the clerk's help is surely an improvement to the man's own abilities, the hired help no doubt is a cheap one who minimized efforts.*

"Involved parties (the Hin who helped the criminal hide the stolen animal and matching leash) refused to provide reparations for the theft and loss of stolen property, and will not provide any unless Harmonium tells them to do so.

The liar who claimed to be a witness in the golem contract case and who provided the fake testimony about an attempt to sell it defended the Hin, tried to intimidate me by emphasizing spooky aspects of their devilish nature so I don't ask for what's mine to be returned, tried to bob me into signing a contract to sell my soul, formulated barely hidden threats. They described themselves as the guilty Hin's "business partner who manages her money".
Since this woman defends the criminal and obviously shares her business interests, this casts doubts on her testimony in the golem contract case, sole and counterfeit evidence of any contract breach that could be forged. She offered to pay the ten cogs for the Hin and the thief in exchange for signing a soul selling contract, which I refused for obvious reasons and because the guilty and not their filthy rich lying devil friends should pay.

Since a customer was willing to pay ten cogs for the unicorn once my permits will be delivered, I evaluate the stolen and lost unicorn's value to be ten cogs, which does not even account for delays in the return of this money and morale damage the loss of this animal caused. Note that the Hin did not argue about the unicorn's value, and simply refused to pay anything back because "of the message", whatever this means.

I thus request Harmonium assistance and notably Notary Reina's since she knows the case best, to get back what's mine."
Gadwin

Posted by Gadwin »

Notary Reina informed the man that civil disputes as to how much was owed were more the issue of the Guvners than the Harmonium, and would be fining "Adorabella Goldworthy" 100 jink for receiving and releasing stolen property.

EDIT: Fine received and delivered.