Legal Representative in Need to Meet with their Client

Serena

Posted by Serena »

It is late during the cycle, on 3rt Void of Sacrilegion, that a possibly known face makes its appearance at the Barracks.
With his usual quiet and polite demeanor, he approaches the front desk where guests were usually greeted identifying himself as Aidan Rhistel and providing his documents in review. His tone is fairly detached as he explains to be there as the "current" legal representative of one Maraphiel of Cania, whom he wishes to see, should she still be detained within the temporary cells within the Barracks.
He'd also request access to all the documentation referring to her current case -or cases, should there be more than one- including but not limited to the list of charges as issued, arrest warrants and witnesses depositions.

He'd wait the needed time for his requests to be reviewed, and possibly granted.
"Hand me my shovel, I'm going in!"

Plays: Aidan Rhistel - Factor and Law Representative of the Fated
Feel free to reach to me IC for enlisting or general faction rp
Gadwin

Posted by Gadwin »

It's an hour or so before a response is issued by none other than the arresting officer.

"Factor Rhistel,

Given that the accused is not a citizen of Sigil and has already attempted to evade capture once already, we must consider her a flight risk. As such, the Harmonium denies your request for access to her cell. As her legal representative, you are permitted to have documents passed to her at your leisure.

The charges issued against her are as follows, listed in order of severity:

Felony:

-Crime Spree

Indictable Offense:

-Assault
-Resisting arrest

The rest of what you have requested is confidential information, and so unfortunately we must officially abstain from granting it."

Peace and Harmony,

-Measure Three, Reina
Last edited by Gadwin on Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Serena

Posted by Serena »

Still waiting in the hall for a reply to his inquiries, Aidan is rather perplexed when he's met with a letter from Measure Reina, the content of which has him lift an eyebrow, extremely perplexed.

He showed the document to the person still at the front desk, and rather nonchalantly asked

"Please help me understand, officer... am I being told lawyers are now not allowed to see their clients, or access documents that are needed in order to prepare a defence for a trial?"
His tone is still very calm as he continues, looking into his bag for something, that soon enough proves to be a folder
"I could mention you a specific case in which I was forced to see my client while sharing the same room with none less than the Skin Slasher themselves, a notorious serial murderer, here in this very Barracks. Safety wasn't an issue back then, should I assume my client is... not only being compared to, but treated with even more security than an an ascertained serial murderer, despite her charges being still alleged and unproved after almost a month having passed since her arrest?"
He cants his head, hands folded on the files he was still holding
"I don't want to assume there has been a misconduct, I'm sure I must have misunderstood, I'd really appreciate if you could clarify this for me. I have all the time this cycle"

Serena

Posted by Serena »

"Of course, if safety regarding this specific individual is such a matter of importance to the Harmonium, I suppose it would sound fair that we are kept under surveillance as long as our exchanges retain the needed attorney-client confidentiality, I would never have any reason to object to such." He concedes eventually, probably trying to understand the other's angle to that situation.

"As for the documentations regarding my client charges... if it's true you cannot provide them to me, I'd like a written and signed confirmation of such denial with reasons provided... beside of course this letter from Measure Reina, which I'm going to keep anyway. However, I'll need to tell you I am aware such documentation should be available as Public Records in Courts, and that's where I'll be headed after seeing my client."
The man seems fairly confident about what he's saying, yet, nothing but a general matter-of-factly attitude seems to come off him, as one who's there literally just to do their job at their best.

Gadwin

Posted by Gadwin »

One newfound Erinyes comes into view half-way into this conversation, moving out of a semi recently opened doorway. A few steps closer were taken, followed by a small sigh as her gaze flits between the Fated and the Receptionist. She very much seemed as though she didn't want to be there, right then, but she would casually ask Measure Diana to bring her up to speed with the conversation. Her tone of voice to follow remained neutral and professionally rigid.

"Guess we're doing this here, then. Where to start.."

"You're not being barred access to your client. Lawyers are allowed to convene with their client regardless of holding, as the letter detailed, and she is just as able to write you back. We won't read the messages contained, but they are subject to screenings for contraband and other such implements that may see her free. Under normal circumstances, there would be no issue with a face to face meeting, but our baatorian decided to do the bolt when confronted for her crimes, and with her abilities and mannerisms in mind, we'd rather she not be moved until the day of the Trial."

"If you have issues with bygone events, then make a formal complaint. Most of us probably won't know what you're talking about with this 'skin slasher' stuff, especially since the split from the Empire, and the fact that the Factol of the time has passed. As well, most of the extra information you're requesting can just as easily be given by your client, but the vast majority of the information you have requested is incomplete- part of an ongoing investigation, and therefore it cannot be turned over to much of anyone- save our own, and maybe the Guvners. Once completed, the information will become available to those who need it- yourself included- and after the trial, publicly accessible."

As she went on and on, her eyes kept their half-lidded boredom, making it perfectly clear that she found little enjoyment in the 'legalese' parts of her job. "Typically, non-guvner lawyers are neither normal nor favorable, since their capacity to act in legal matters is limited compared to the faction that has a firmer hand in matters like the one we find ourselves in. With that said, i'm not legally required to give you more than I already have, and nor is anyone else among my faction. If you want a signature that says, one to one, the reason for these denials as i've stated them, then I guess I can write one up for you."

"And as a quick aside on the notes of her crimes being unsubstantiated, we have no small amount of witnesses who were there to see both of her respective crimes. Myself being one of them, in the 'fleeing' charge. She is guilty, just as she was some few months ago. Though I assume she lied egregiously to try and persuade you to think otherwise, as she does with just about everyone she wants something from."

There's a quick roll to her eyes before she continued. "Tell you what, though. In your case, i'll make an exception. I'll arrange for a meeting between the two of you, face to face, if you turn over all of the magical items in your possession beforehand. Or subject yourself to be within the hold of one of our mancatchers the same as her. Both achieve roughly the same effect, but one is annoying and the other might be a bit degrading. Up to you." She waved a hand dismissively.

"Oh, and you'll allow me to observe the interaction between you both. I don't need to hear what you're saying, but I do need to be sure that she doesn't go for rule of three. That's about the extent of what I can do for you."

With that, she ceased her legalese speech and looked to Rhistel as neutrally as ever, her boredom being slightly defeated with the completion of her spiel. "Does that cover everything?"
edmaster44

Posted by edmaster44 »

"Oh..not to interupt you two, but it looks like your client, has been transfered out of my Custody and into the Mercy Killer's Custody! The Documents we have on her will be forward it to you at your earliest convenience! You might have to meet with your client at the Mercy Killer's Headquarters!" Spoke Diana as she had an ackward smile on her face
Serena

Posted by Serena »

When the Erinyes comes into sight, the Factor quietly excuses himself from the person he was talking to until then to turn his attention toward the woman, offering a greeting in her direction in the form of a polite bow of his head.

He clasps his hand behind his back in a rather relaxed stance as she starts… “fiendsplaining” him the situation, her words having him cant his head a couple times although he never does anything to interrupt her. Eventually, as the briefing continues, he finds himself reaching for his leatherbound journal to take a few notes, probably as to make sure he didn’t miss any of the point she is making, and only when he is certain everything that needed to be said had been said, he makes to return his gaze fully on her.

“I am very sorry you are forced to be here, as I can see this sort of procedures are not your favourites, and probably not what you joined the Harmonium for, Measure Reina, but please don’t take me wanting to do my job properly as a personal offence.” He offers rather simply in the fiendess direction.
“Contrary to what common folk may assume, legal representatives are allowed to everyone, regardless of whether they are innocent or guilty, and given that my client is still here and not with the Red Death, I am afraid she needs to be considered still not guilty until the Court says otherwise... even if this might not sit well with the parties involved.
My job, in the meantime, is to make sure that my client is treated properly and that there’s no misconduct while the situation is being handled.”

“As for what you call “bygone events”, which I believe are legally called “precedents”, I of course do not expect you to be personally aware of all of them, as I know you are a fairly new addition to the faction’s ranks, but I am also quite confident that the Harmonium did not burn down their records with the passing of the late Factol… and even if it that was the case, Guvner records will serve just as well…”

It is right at that time, however, that the new information from Diana has him stop and eventually abandon his answer completely, as if he had no reason to waste further energies in that conversation. Sure he is perplexed by the turn things have taken, at that point, but he simply nods in thanks toward the woman, accepting the guidelines he was given.

“My thanks, Measure Diana, I’ll be out of your hair, in this case.” He offered with a smile in her direction “The address I have provided you will be perfect for any kind of further communication.”

And then, with a last greeting toward both the Measures, he left the Barracks.