Report: Helga And Red Smith

*Taurus Daggerknight

Posted by *Taurus Daggerknight »

wrote: Earlier today, several adventurers and I were approached by a dwarf calling herself Helga  ((a description is listed)) in the bazaar. She had signs around a stall, urging for mercenaries to volenteer for a mission she was rather secretive about until anyone agreed to assist.

She claimed that a shipment she was awaiting had failed to arrived from Mechanus. After a prolonged round of questioning, she finally let on that the shipment was of gemstones mined from a part of the Earth Plane. She asked that we go to Mechanus and check with her contact- identified as "Red Smith"- as to the where abouts of the goods. She offered  to pay 3,000 for each mercanry, with an advance of 1,000. The entire presentation of her situation and mission seemed very shady, but I accepted the mission primarily because I was somewhat convinced that she was hiding something crucial, and hoped to learn more by meeting her contact.  Other adventurers also accepted. Those who participated were:

1) Trixx La'Croix
2) Kazuko
3) Sharmuth
4) Etzy
5) Brogar Bellbreaker

((the report lists their respective races, genders and factions as known to Dace))

Once in Mechanus, we found Red Smith ((a description follows)) - a rather opportunistic tiefling man. He did not seem any more trustworthy than Helga, but he claimed that the shipment was stalled because the miners had been attacked by elementals. He also made it clear that many of the miners had been trapped in the plane, a f act that motivated us to go in and attempt a rescue mission. Although the portal device on the other side was damaged, we were successful, though the gemstones themselves could  not be recovered (we were under heavy attack and tending to wounded civilians).

Once we returned to Sigil... Helga made a mad dash, attempting to flee the group. We caught up with her, but she continued to make excuses for her behavior, and attempted to get out of paying. Trixx managed to convince her none the less.

Although I haven't any concrete proof of this, I have a sense that Helga herself may be involved in less than legal operations, and would request we investigate her, or at the very least keep a close watch.  Her associate, Red Smith, was not much better, though he has been handled (he attempted to illegally sell the miners as slaves when we had returned from the rescue mission. I reported this to the local Guvners, who immediately sent security details after him).

Sincerely,

Namer Dace Andor
*DarkArc

Posted by *DarkArc »

wrote: Namer Dace,

You have my authorization to pursue this. Find out what you can about this Helga. I will be contacting the Guvners to inform them that we request to question this Red Smith.

Regards,
Factor Charae
Mercykillers
A message is then sent by courier to the Guvner bureau that Red Smith was taken to in Mechanus.
wrote: To Whom It May Concern,

Word has reached me that you have a prisoner that may have connects to an anarchist plot within the walls of Sigil. I am sending a representative of the Mercykillers, Namer Dace Andor, to you in the hopes that you will permit him to question the individual. It is with understanding that Namer Andor was the one that brought this individual to your attention.

If you would permit, we would like to transfer Red Smith to our headquarters in Sigil for further interrogation to investigate a potential threat to Sigil security. Please contact me if an arrangement can be made.

Regards,
Factor Charae
Mercykillers
*Taurus Daggerknight

Once given authorization by the Factor, Dace heads back to Mechanus to collect the suspect.
*MimiFearthegn

Posted by *MimiFearthegn »

When Dace arrives at the Pylon Shipyard, he is ushered into a small office, and given a stack of forms to fill out. If he asks why, the very bored looking Guvner official says that its necessary to consider his request.

Many signatures later, Dace is left to wait while his "application to transfer the suspect is considered."

About an hour or two later, a new official appears, and looks surprised to see Dace there. After having the situation explained to him, the official goes off to check on the status of Dace's request.

Another hour of waiting later, a new official shows up, of apparently higher rank, and says that Dace's request is denied. The Fraternity of Order will be taking care of this situation in Mechanus themselves. They will, however, forward whatever information they discover about possible Anarchist ties to Sigil to the Triad headquarters in Sigil.
*Taurus Daggerknight

Dace tries really hard to remain calm, conjuring images of calm waterfalls and sunsets, yet they constantly turn to visions of hellfire and how lovely it would feel to -

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts...

"...good sir, you cannot possibly have taken the better part of three hours when that missive was sent quite ahead of schedule..." he sighs, trying to get back on track. "This individual might be related to an ongoing matter, and as such if he cannot be transfered then at least permit me some time to interview him here at your holding facility."
*MimiFearthegn

Dace is handed another form, and the official leaves again. One more signature, and many minutes later, Dace is at last cleared to question the prisoner. He is led down a series of corridors to the interrogation room, where sits the unfortunate Red Smith.

"You may question the prisoner," the official says, "Though your conversation will be recorded."
*Taurus Daggerknight

It's all he can do to not accidently burn the possibly ten thousandth form in eldritch acid, but somehow he manages to maintain some professional decorum and just sign the page.

He follows the officials and nods at their disclaimer, then enters the interrogation room with his leather bound folder. In the scenarios he imagined before arriving in Mechanus, he saw himself giving Red Smith a somewhat amused smirk and chiding the slaver a bit for getting into the position he was in, but at this point Dace was far too irate at the hours of paper work and sitting. He simply took his seat in front of the prison and began questioning him.

"Red Smith, by now I'm guessing you know that you're in some deeper rot than what you were charged with here. That is, attempts to illegally sell sentients into slavery... on top of that charge, it seems you've been aiding a member of the Revolutionary League." He opens his folder and produces an enchanted quill.

"Kindly spare me the "you've got the wrong man, I'm really innocent!" nonsense, and lets get to what you can tell me about your business partner, this... Helga."
*MimiFearthegn

The unfortunate man stared glumly at Dace, and opened his mouth to begin making excuses:

"But I am- . . ." he then thought the better of it.

After a few moments he began again:

"Look, I was just trying to make a few extra jink. It was your friend that wanted to buy the slaves, and its not like slavery is illegal."

"But I don't know much about Helga's plans. She just hired me, told me to pose as an employee of the mine owner, and try to secure the shipment. It was a heist! Not an anarchist plot!"
*Taurus Daggerknight

"How, when and where did she first contact you? And what was the exact nature of your arrangement?"
*MimiFearthegn

"It was. . . er. . . a week ago, maybe a week and a half. I was drinking cider outside the Greengage, talking with some friends, and one of them mentioned that he knew this dwarf who was looking for someone to do some work for her. Seemed like a good way to make money. He gave me an address - 209 Ferret Corner, Clerk's Ward, I think. I sent a message, and that's how I got in contact with Helga.

"The arrangement was like I said: I was to make sure the shipment reached her. I got half of my pay beforehand, and I was to receive the second half when I was successful."