The Oath

*DarkArc

Posted by *DarkArc »

Returning from the Spirit, Charae reported to Factor Swan's Son after arriving at the prison. "Factor," she nodded to him. "I have a sample of blood that potentially belongs to Mauric Ashtoret. If our diviners can determine it is his blood, I request the presence of all Justicars so that I may undergo the Oath of Justice."
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

She finds Arwyl in his office, the papers across his desk are the cases files are those of prisoners he is reviewing as Charae enters he looks up, the man's steely blue eyes seem to look through her seeing every guilty secret that could be deemed worthy of punishment. Perhaps this is just the dark elf's imagination though as when he speaks he seems quite amicable.

"The Oath as I am sure you are aware Justicar is not something undertaken lightly. Should you commit to it the only two possible outcomes are the capture of your target or your death. For this reason you cannot undertake the oath against someone who could be innocent. Work your scrying spell and then if this man is guilty seriously consider the implications and should you still wish to do this speak with me again."
*DarkArc

Posted by *DarkArc »

Charae smiled and bowed. "So it will be. I will speak with a diviner and return once the evidence is irrefutable." The dark elf saw herself out and sought for one of the Prison's skilled scrying wizards.
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

Of course the prison has diviners to aid in their search for convicts. She finds Artemis, a moon elf Factotum who makes a point of steering clear of the red death's internal conflicts sitting in the yard beneath the gallows. As he sees her approach he slips into elven as he looks up from the book he reads.

"Hello Justicar. Have you come to enjoy the shade of the leafless tree?"
*DarkArc

Posted by *DarkArc »

The dark elf gave the moon elf a pleasant smile. "I believe you know the answer to that question," she responded in Elven. Charae showed Artemis the vial that contained the swab of blood. "You are one of our more talented diviners. I was hoping you could identify who this blood belonged to."
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

"No one ever comes to see me just to chat."

He takes the swab of blood and stands up.

"Follow me please."

He stands up and heads towards the far entrance to the dead book cells at the far end of the courtyard. He makes his way to a small office before the actual cell block is reached. Like most Mercykillers have been in the prison for any length of time he is deaf to the screams and sobs that surround him.

On his desk is a brazier he ignites it with a cantrip. Opening a drawer in his desk he reaches inside for some dark powder. He sprinkles it on the flame which flickers blue and after that he tosses in what appears to be an eyeball, also kept in the desk drawer.

"I shall require patience now, this will take some time."
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

The smoke from the brazier burns and clouds the mirror. The reflection in the mirror takes on a life of its own the smoke seeming to form the outline of a figure. Artemis looks on expectantly but then sighs as nothing else happens.

"It appears he has taken precautions Justicar. That the spell works at all means he is still in the cage though."
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

Several days after the failed scrying there is a knock at the door. It is the dead hours of the morning well after antipeak, the inmates are locked down and sleeping and the Factol and her Factor's are not present. Charae would open the door to find a mousy haired man with a namers badge on his uniform

"There is really something I should tell whoever is in charge..."

He regards the drow nervously

"And right now at this specific moment I think that is you."
*DarkArc

Posted by *DarkArc »

The Justicar's office had an attached bedroom to it, for late nights that required her to remain in the prison. When the dark elf heard a knock on the door, she rose from her trance and walked over to it, dressed out of her armor and in night clothes of silks and other soft fabrics with a jeweled dagger hanging from her hip.

The dark elf answered the door and saw the mousy-looking man standing beyond it. She was annoyed that a mere Namer would interrupt her rest and hoped that whatever it was, it was important. "What do you have to tell, Namer?"
*Midnight

Posted by *Midnight »

"Its gone again. One of the prisoners in the high security cells. It disappeared before, but by the time I fetched Justicar Cyrus it was back. He said I was fatigued and sent me home on leave."

He sees the probable look of bafflement on the dark elf's face.

"Would it be better if I showed you?"