The Retributus Inquisition

Taurus Daggerknight

Posted by Taurus Daggerknight »

This had been a most irregular month of Retributus.

What was normally the holy month of the Mercykillers turned into not a celebration, but a variable inquisition within the halls of the Prison.

As most such hunts, it all began with a philosophical debate, around the question of whether a traitor deserved to be made into a martyr. Resolving that particular issue was easy (if slightly messy) enough, with an added bonus of taking down the entire family of the traitor with him. What was less easy was sorting through the web of corruption that this one matter of former Justicar Hefler had revealed.

Isikron. The name was shrouded in even more dark than Factor Andor's own weapon project, and yet somehow was an even bigger drain on Faction funding. More mysterious still was how absolutely no one in the Faction seemed to know what it was at all. Even the Factol seemed puzzled, remembering only the name but nothing else of its nature.

So, down the rabbit hole he and Justice Sevdi went, digging up secrets some thought long since buried. Lies were exposed, corrupt Mercykillers were dragged into the darkest cells, and factioneers who thought their ranks would save them were cast down like so many criminals before them.

At last, thanks to Sevdi's endeavors, they came to Factor Vedrana, seemingly the only person to have any actual knowledge or connection to the mysterious Isikron.

Despite her protests, she was brought down into the deep levels of the Prison. Dace spent a good long while interviewing her, attempting to reach the truth of Isikron. She dodged, predictably, even going as far as to suggest that this was all a witch hunt by the Factol herself. Some insidious design to cull the Red Death of her enemies. Yet, she had one real trick up her sleeve; documents, bearing the Factol's own signature and seal.

According to these, Isikron was a proposed keep just outside of Vorkehon. A keep that, for whatever reason, was kept secret for the last three years. A keep that no one had heard of since the project was pitched.

The documents certainly cast the situation in some doubt. Was this Factor Vedrana telling the truth? Was Isikron one of the many shadow projects of the Red Death that the Factol had indeed signed off on, only to change her mind for a political reason? Or was this the last gambit of yet another traitor?

There was only one way to be sure. He had Vedrana placed under observation, with orders to stay in Sigil until further notice. Someone else would go to Vorkehon in her stead, and get to the bottom of this once and for all.

An order was soon drafted to one of the Justicars under his command, bearing authorization seals from the Factol herself.
Justicar Alardin,

The mystery surrounding this Project: Isikron needs to be investigated under your auspice. You are to take your squad to the fortress of Vorkehon, and contact the Warden directly. Explain to him the concerns over this Isikron, as well as your orders to personally verify either its existence, or failing that, expose the lies of those who have hidden behind its name. The Warden is also required to hand over all pertinent reports on the matter to you, for delivery to Headquarters, by direct order of Factol Alisohn Nilesia herself.

Furthermore, I want you and your unit to go to the site of Isikron's supposed construction, and report back your findings. That location has been designated for something that is being kept out of the Faction's sight, and it's about time we learnt why.

Exerciser caution, Alardin. Treachery is afoot, and the paths you are to recon have already seen one unit fall to such cowardly acts. Be careful.

Justice Prevail,

Factor Dace Andor
I just want to kill monsters and get prizes for it. Is that REALLY so much to ask for?
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

Posted by mimifearthegn »

Dace receives word back from Justicar Alardin on the 3rd Low of Narciss:
Factor Andor,

I met with the Warden on the 3rd Guild. He was cooperative, and confirmed the existence of Isikron. I was shown some documentation, but he said it would take some time to gather the full report requested.

We continued on to the location of the fortress, and have found it to be as described. The central keep is completed; work remains to be done on the outer walls. The structure is impressive, and is in a good defensive location, though a smaller defensive structure would have done the same job for lesser cost. So far the Justicant overseeing the project has failed to give me a satisfactory answer as to what purpose the extra fortifications are to serve.

We have been warned that they are having trouble with the locals, and that they have had to halt construction several times in the past month due to attacks.

I had Justice Valeria - who you may recall helped with the recent prison construction - look over the plans. I am including her report with mine.

Justice prevail,

Justicar Alardin
There is indeed an accompanying report from Justice Valeria, expressing concerns that the full plans of the keep had not, in fact, been shared. She suspects that they have been building down into the hillside itself, and that their underground construction is quite extensive. She cites various inconsistencies in the plans versus details she noticed while touring the site, and the fact that they have not, as of yet, been shown the full extent of the dungeons shown in the plans. She says she has requested a more extensive tour the following day.
Taurus Daggerknight

Dace reads over the reports carefully, considering each detail before having them forwarded to the Factol's office. An additional recommendation that Factor Vedrana be placed under arrest until the investigations conclusion is also made.
I just want to kill monsters and get prizes for it. Is that REALLY so much to ask for?
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

Posted by mimifearthegn »

A few days later, a much smaller group comes back to the Prison than was sent out to Acheron. Justicar Alardin promptly makes his report on his return.

It seems that the 3rd Void - when Justice Valeria was inspect the rest of the keep - Isikron was attacked by those 'locals' they'd been warned about. Bladelings, mostly. Conveniently, this attack was focused on the outer buildings where Alardin's men had been barracked, and they had sustained losses. Justice Valeria was among the dead.

Having lost his expert on architecture and construction, Justicar Alardin opted to return early to Sigil. Needless to say, he has nothing kind to say about the fortress he was sent to investigate. . .
Taurus Daggerknight

The news is dire, but not overly surprising to Factor Andor. He listens carefully to Alardin's full report, making note of the names of all the officers involved. Once the briefing is over, he arranges for the healers in the Faction to attempt to bring Justice Valeria and the rest of Alardin's comrades back from death, then has the new information forwarded to the Factol's office.

The next step was to have a more...thorough 'talk' with Vedrana. Clearly she had a lot to answer for...