[Sinkhole story] Klothort report : Sinkhole and swallowed apartment building

Urbancat

Posted by Urbancat »

To: Factor Dace Daggerknight

Subject: Report on the findings investigating the Sinkhole

At "This date" at "This time" I reported on the location of the incident, there I found Notary Callistus of the Harmonium on-site as the officer overseeing the investigations.
Obtain permission to conduct my own investigations, on the promise that I would share any relevant findings, I proceeded toward the location of the sinkhole proper.
The Dabus activity was already ongoing, but I succeeded in flying down toward the tunnels underneath the location.
The writer does not possess any technical skill to evaluate the structural condition of a building, but even to an untrained eye, it was visible that the supports were lost and masonry was shifted, the whole zone showed sign of structural instability, including the nearby tunnels.

At "This location" at "This distance" from the sinkhole, I found a carving in the walls, the carving was evidently recent, representing a spiral, a copy of the carving on parchment is attached to the present report.

Returning to Harmonium Notary Callistus, presenting my report he informed me the Symbol is often used by the Cultists of Tharizdun, also the Notary informed me that the cult is his prime suspect at the moment and that a cultist representative is at the moment hold for questioning at the barracks but his current mental state doesn't seem to allow for any progress in the interrogation.

The writer extended the help of the Mercykillers for the interrogation of the cultist, and Notary Callistus, given the proper procedure is followed, agreed to the help, is requested that a formal request for collaboration in the interrogation is sent to the proper channels to the Harmonium command so that a Mercykiller interrogator is given authorization to proceed and access to the cultist.

Namer Klothort
Taurus Daggerknight

Posted by Taurus Daggerknight »

After sending the proper formalities to the Barracks for the joint investigation efforts, Factor Andor made a note for the Prison that he intended to go down into Undersigil himself, in the company of Notary Reina and several planewalkers.

He later returned and filed the following report:

Tharzidun cult link to the sink holes was confirmed, as as the presence of several Outsider born tendrils creeping through the warrens of Undersigil. These tendrils were tracked to a source in the cultists temple itself, specifically to a creatures whose identity could not be confirmed. Witnesses agree with my suspicion that the creature in question was at least linked to the ancient Obyriths of the Abyss.

The creature's presence and subsequent expansion into the caverns of Undersigil seems to be the result of a summoning ritual, and a catastrophic failure in containment. While the summoning was seemingly intended, its freedom was not, a fact determined after study of the ritual.

Given the unlikelihood of a summoning ritual succeeding in our city on a normal basis, I felt it prudent to record on a page the glyphs see. The glyphs will be sent to our Arcane Tower in the Prison for further study.

A planewalker golem (owned by a Fraternity of Order factioneer by the name Ussi'dora) claimed to have detected the presence of a portal or fissure point over the ritual site. As this was likely the means by which the fiend was able to be summoned- and the damage it already did in so little time- we felt it prudent to bury the complex, in order to prevent any further such attempts. Accordingly, the temple of Tharzidun has been destroyed by a combination of earthquake spells, directed meteors, and other implosions. Despite the legal status of the dwellers bellow, efforts were taken to minimize collateral damage. To my knowledge, these efforts were successful.

Despite the elimination of the creature, I recommend all Triad field agents keep alert for further activity, especially for signs of those tendrils. These tendrils appeared almost as plants, and bore a pale green pigment.

Justice Prevai,

Factor Dace Andor
I just want to kill monsters and get prizes for it. Is that REALLY so much to ask for?
Taurus Daggerknight

An order is issued out to available Mercykiller field agents in the city:

It has been determined that the source of the sinkholes is a concentrated and mobile force moving within Undersigil. It is likely to be of similar properties to the one encountered in the Tharzadun temple; a demonic (possibly obrythian) entity that seems to grow tendrils that cause the collapses we've seen. Thanks to reports by Namers Klo and Katherine, we have also determined likely movement paths heading deeper into the Hive.

Available agents will be needed to scout the paths bellow the Ward for signs of the creature. Coordinate your search with Namers Clearwater and Klo, and immediately report signs of the creature (or creatures) to Headquarters and to the Harmonium, who will be attempting to control the situation above ground.

Should you have further questions or new information, approach me at the earliest.

Justice Prevail,

Factor Dace Andor
I just want to kill monsters and get prizes for it. Is that REALLY so much to ask for?
ShadowFox13

Posted by ShadowFox13 »

After the order had gone out, a second report finds its way to Factor Dace's desk, as well as the mailboxes for Namer's Klo and Katherine.

To: Factor Dace
CC: Namer Klo, Namer Katherine
Date: 1st Clerk of Accordant, 137Ha

After investigating news from the SIGIS, I can confirm that a new sinkhole has opened in the Clerk's Ward, under Lady Drayon's Boarding House. Tendrils were spotted, as well as a strange smell from the new pit, with a few injuries, but no deaths thanks to swift evacuation measures. The Harmonium have secured the site. Though I patrolled the previous cycle and saw nothing new beneath the Hive's tunnels, it is likely the work of the Dabus to rebuild and fortify Undersigil may have obscured old paths the tendrils may have used to evade detection.

Based on my patrol, it may serve us well to recruit the cranium rats - known as "the Collective"- to perhaps track the tendrils through the tunnels. They are motivated by self-preservation, and have the numbers to converse with some civility and equanimity. They may even be convinced to keep eyes on the Warlords operating below as well.

I look forward to collaborating on future ventures below, and await word on any sort of coordinated expedition.

- Namer Isonade
Taurus Daggerknight

A message finds its way to Namer Isonade:
Namer Isonade,

Thank you for your quick report. A word of advice for further encounters with the growth; the Cerulian Sign does appear to hold the entity at bay. Should you wish to push its reach back temporarily or keep it from reaching a vital target, it may be effective.

Keep your eyes out for the source in the mean time. As for the rats; you may make use of whatever assets you see fit, but be warned that they are vermin who present a clear and present hazard to the civilians of the city. Be mindful of this in whatever dealings you choose to make in order to secure their cooperation, and report on any such agreements.

If you have not already, I suggest you find Namers Klo and Katherine, and coordinate your respective field steps with them.

Justice Prevail,

Factor Dace Andor
Saiceles

Posted by Saiceles »

After several days in the field, a missive arrives from Katherine to the offices of the Mercykillers, to be directed to those of interest.

"From: Namer Katherine Beaumont-Lyon Clearwater
To: Mercykiller Offices

Hello. I'm currently continuing my search for more traces of the Cult and their growths down in the sewers. It seems routes have been adjusted by the Dabus recently so the task has been taking a few days so far. Currently I can confirm Namer Isonade's reports about rats, but so far no new signs of growths. With the aid of a guide, I intend to trail further into the lesser known sewer routes to try and find mroe clues and signs as to our current quarry. News to follow as soon as they are discovered."