[Sinkhole Story] Isonade's Investigations

ShadowFox13

Posted by ShadowFox13 »

Taking the Factor's encouragement from the briefing to heart, Isonade descends into Undersigil to speak once again with "the Collective" - the name the hive of cranium rats has given its leader.

It doesn't take long to find the room where the rats hold court, and she slips around the sentries posted without issue or a fight, presenting herself to the leader with her bow slung across her back, clearly non-hostile as a Drow could present themselves.

"You know I have helped you in the past, against the savage humans down below who eat your kin - I would ask that you would consider the news I have, and honor my request for aid, in turn." She paused to let the message sink in.

"There are tendrils that you may have seen in the tunnels - pale green, plant-like, but with intelligence. They are a great threat to the city.... and to your kin and home. They seek to destroy, and do not care what gets caught in their wake. Do you know of them? Have you or your kin seen them?"
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

Posted by mimifearthegn »

Isonade's request was met with much squeaking and skittering as the rats shifted nervously.

"Yes, we know of these things," the Collective affirmed.

"There are many vines, reaching across all the tunnels. They have changed the tunnels. They say they will change more. We do not get close to them."
ShadowFox13

Posted by ShadowFox13 »

Isonade moves slowly as she pulls out a scroll, unrolling a map for the rats to see.

"All I need, is for you to tell me where you have seen the vines, and how things may have changed." And would assist in orienting the rat to the map and the landmarks it might know, in an effort to get as much detail as possible from The Collective.
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

The Collective is quick to understand, though there is some difficulty in getting them to explain -clearly- where they have seen the vines. Their preferred method of communication was to try to project images of the vines directly into Isonade's mind. Of course, these images were all from the viewpoint of a rat, and lacked a great deal of context from her perspective. Getting them to point things out on a map was significantly harder.

After some back and forth, however, she gets the impression that there is one large "plant" and two smaller offshoots. The Collective thinks that the largest concentration of vines is under the Hive ward, but that there are also smaller clumps of vines lurking under the Lower Ward and the Lady's Ward.
ShadowFox13

Posted by ShadowFox13 »

Isonade, getting as much detail as she could, would roll up the map with words of thanks for the rats.

"If you are able to without undue risk to you people, keep an eye on their progress as you have now - and let any you see bearing this symbol-" She displays her badge of the Red Death. "Know what you've seen, to the best of your ability. We work to eliminate these vines, and keep this place safe."

"I will let my fellows know that you and your people are not to be harmed, as long as we pass down here for this effort."
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

The giant rat bowed its head.

"The Collective will tell the Red Death if the vines move."

Then it snuffled at Isonade inquisitively.

"And in return, the Red Death promises not to harm us. . .forever?"
ShadowFox13

Posted by ShadowFox13 »

"This one could only make such a promise, if you agreed never to harm or destruction to the people or property above ground. Legitimate citizens." She tries to impress the idea of a model citizen on the using a comparison to a good member of The Collective.

She might be pushing her luck, both with her superiors and the rats, but it never hurt to discuss the matter.
mimifearthegn
Site Admin

There is much excited chittering from the collected rats at the idea of a model citizen. There was no way to tell whether they properly understood, but the idea obviously resonated with them.

"We will think on it," the spokesrat declared. And then the rats scattered.