New Blood, Old Blood

*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

The next day Mila is approached by Sigurd again. He seems worried and in a hurry- this time disguised as some worker (of course his clothes are still of too good quality and his hands, while appropriately dirty lack the callus hard works tend to leave behind).

"He.. hello."

He smiles, looks around nervously as usual when he meets her and then he lowers his voice.

"I heard some Hardhead is looking for a way to meet you. A tiefling measure- he wants to talk and negotiate about the captives.

Shall I.. leave some message where you want to meet him?"
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

"You? No... you're far too valuable and dear to me to risk, Sigurd. You’ve risked enough already. You’re too important to the cause to handle this yourself. I’ll give you a reply and I want you to ensure it goes through others before it reaches the Triad. Can you do that for me… please?”

She smiles at him with practiced and convincing womanly charm. She then jots down a reply to send;
wrote:“At onset of Anti-peak tomorrow. Beggars Lane, Inn of the silent Gnome. Second floor, room three.  Any deception, trick, track or double-cross and the deal is off. Come alone. Your safety is guaranteed. You will return home to a warm bed if you behave and follow the terms”
She then kisses Sigurds cheek and sends him on his way.
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

As usual Sigurd is calmed anr reassured through her presence but at the same time getting nervous for different reasons.

He folds up the message awkwardly and with a nervous smile he walks away.

No idea what he did or how he did it but when Mira arrives at the Silent Gnome she will find the Tiefling waiting for her already.

Of course he is not in uniform this time, wearing a shirt of black chain under a dark leather cloak. Only talonlike hands and slitted pupils of his eyes give away his fiendish heritage.

He sips from his drink (some non alcoholic mix of fruit juices) and gestures to a free chair.
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Mila walks into the place, most of her features covered to anyone but close observers. Those at any sort of distance would only see her as a local. She walks past him and stands at the bar, leaning in close to one of the Revs that would have been here to secure the place for the negotiations. She would whisper to him;

“Get you and your boys to walk through this place and one block around. If there’s anyone you don’t recognize or that isn’t from here, other than that Tiefer… move them along. They can come back later when we’re done. Don’t take no for an answer”

She grabs a drink and then walks over to the table and leans in.

“Glad you could show up as asked. Room three as requested… ”

The room would be a typical inn room that had already been secured. It would be picked due to its defensibility and ease of escape if necessary. She would also place a small crystal on the tableÂ… to block scrying attempts while talking. There would be no communicating between the Hardhead and his men at any time once seated.

She would sit, removing her hood (as heÂ’d already have seen her during the assault of the outpost) and leaning back in her chair. She lit a smoke and began.

“You have our demands. You’re obviously not here for a playful chat. Say what you need to say”
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

"Right to the point. Good. I will assume you have the authority to speak here.... it is a bit difficult when dealing with your kind as often one cell does not know what the next one is up to."

He leans back, both of his hands resting on the table.

"We are of course concerned about our friends as you are about yours. There are aways families involved as well so it is never just about politics.

However I fear you are overestimating your position. Those you caught- while friends of ours- know what they risk as soon as they don their uniform.

As do I know what I risk being here."

He smiles sips from his drink and clears his throat before going on.

"So what you want will just not happen- your demands will be not met. Yet of course I am willing to negotiate.
For example I am quite sure there are some innocent and mere sympathisants among those captured.
Freeing them would be many families happy and you have a little victory you can be proud of. You made the world a better place.

That is if it is this what you want to do.

If you are merely interested in seeing Sigil burn we are both wasting our time here, are we not?"
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

She smiles, a devious and cocky smile she has used so very often.

“You underestimate the value the people we have, Measure. I know you’ve been sent due to your practiced stance of rigidity and uncaring, and I have to tell you… well done on it, you’re pretty convincing. But let me tell you a few things that might get you to drop the dramatic education you may have been given that honed your skills so well and start to treat this situation a little more seriously.

First and foremost. I am no patsy you can speak down to. With little thought I can destroy you, your men youÂ’ve hidden in the area and damn well half the city block before I remembered to pay for my drinks. You are not dealing with amatures here. YouÂ’d be very wise to remember that. This is my homeÂ… donÂ’t come in here and piss on my carpet and call it your own. You will deal with us with respectÂ… not patronization. If I wanted this city to burnÂ… you wouldnÂ’t have enough water to put it out. ThankfullyÂ… IÂ’m much calmer than some others.

NowÂ… for the other considerations. One of our prisoners, a pretty female Measure, is quite close to someone much more powerful than yourself back on ArcadiaÂ… a brother of hers who holds a good amount of influence and power. Think your career plans will continue steadily if you have his family killed? OhÂ… and what about the son of that merchantÂ… you know, the really rich one offering the reward for his return. WellÂ… life get awful difficult when you bite the hand that feeds you, hm?

No… I think these little lobsters are quite valuable. Now… back to my demands. Obviously all of our people isn’t happening. I’m not that naive. I just wanted to get your attention.”

She slides him a list of fifteen names. Mostly cell leaders and very important supporters caught up in raids.

“These fifteen. Let ‘em walk and your troops are home in time for supper.”
*Selebius

Posted by *Selebius »

He smiles and while this is an honest smile of genuine amusement it might not be what the girl expected.

"You are young.. and it shows."

Perhaps he just bluffs well or her threats do really not concern him much.

"I am here because I volunteered. I am a Hiver myself and I do not want to see this conflict escalating more.

So I ask you again- and please think about your answers. And think hard because your last one was a bit rash.

You are overestimating your position. It is not the first time this happens, that someone tries this with the Triad.

But anyway- lets see... the rich kid.

If you kill him how much do you think your head will be worth for his parents? Actually I am surprised you have not released him yourself to get all the cash.

Then.. ah yes. The Measure. A sworn cleric of St. Cuthbert. God of Retribution. "

He chuckles, sips from his drink again.

"The family is very influential... they would look most kindly on you should you release their child and they might use their influence to change a few death sentences to lifelong in prison. A good offer... and they are honorable people who take their vows seriously.

For the other prisoners I can offer you twelve sympathisants and minor operatives. They will be returned from where they are imprisoned and released in the Cage.. or a Gate Town of your choosing.

A more than fair offer you should take.

Oh- after the bombing the Mercykillers are not exactly in very cooperative mood. We should be quick."
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

(((I havenÂ’t forgotten about this. Just letting the Reward plot play out before continuing. )))
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

Mila sat in silence and watched the measure, the smug look of superiority on his face. For long moments she said little, seemed to be mulling over replies and responses. The measure simply watched her with a slight grin. He had her cornered. It was good to watch the little Anarchist squirm. He let her take as much time as she needed. He was enjoying this too much to stop her now.

That was unfortunate for him.

He suddenly came to the realization that she wasn’t actually intending to reply at all… simply stall him for time, but his realization came too late. The air in the room seemed to shift slightly and the shadows that deeply existed behind Mila rippled. A form emerged from them, one that seemed to be a mixture of both shadow and matter. He was of average height but his features were difficult to ascertain. His form seemed to “wisp” every time it got near the shadows, making it almost impossible to make out. The shadowed man leaned down and put his head near Mila’s to speak quietly in her ear. It was obvious his face was covered with a form fitting leather mask… but even that was hard to see when too close to shadows.

“Thank you, dear. Go have some fun, your girlfriends are waiting for you” the man quietly said to Mila… followed by a kiss on the top of her head. Mila pushed herself away from the table and walked to the window. She glanced outside, spoke a quick incantation, and vanished through a dimensional door. Now it seemed all that were left was the Measure… and the shadow.

The Measure went to stand but stopped when the newcomer held up his hand to halt the action. Who was in charge of the situation suddenly had shifted from the Harmonium to the RevolutionÂ… and the Measure was smart enough to realize this. He slowly sat back down. The shadowed man remained standing near the tableÂ… it was dead silent in the roomÂ… then he spoke.

“We invited you here to discuss the situation concerning your people… You thought you would be dealing with a group of brash hooligans. You were wrong. You will be dealing with me.” He sat in Mila’s chair across from the Measure. His eyes were black… very cold. The Measure studied him a bit more in the flickering light of the lamp. A marking was seen on the man, if only briefly. An inner cell leader… any other Faction would consider the rank as Factor. Being from the Hive he now knew the severity of his situation. This was no longer a game.

“Tell me, Measure… what will you offer me for the prisoners? What you presented to my associate was… unacceptable. You wish to be a hero and come to their rescue, you must offer something valuable to me… and my sense of value differs from hers.”
*Darkrob

Posted by *Darkrob »

The man makes no movements and simply watches the Tiefer. After a moment he speaks.

"You're here on your own. Unofficially and without backup. I see... so, what that tells me is you have no real authority to negotiate on behalf of the prisoners and what you can offer must be assumed to be... hopeful thinking, at best."

He stands back up.

"Very well. I'll get what I need from the prisoners. The Measure we have, the one with the pretty smile, I'm sure she knows all sorts of secrets. Haven't spoken to her yet, well... at least not forcefully, but I'm sure she'll eventually be willing to share things you're not. Your safety here was guaranteed so long as you behave... and I always keep my word. Unless you have something to add... you're free to leave."

(((as for taking control of the NPC during the post. sometimes we have no choice. We can't make 35 posts back and forth full of one liners getting people into position. For matters of expediency sometimes we have to assume certain things happen)))