Class reports

Oh my god JC a bomb

Posted by Oh my god JC a bomb »

Namer Raena has decided to start a piling up reports of classes and lectures given to any potential recruits, members, cagers or clueless. She has also left a blank template for other members to use, if they so desire.

Template wrote: Lecturer: The name of the Signer in charge of the lecture, class or lesson.
Attendants: The people listening or involved in the lecture, class or lesson.
Topic: A brief overview of the topics discussed.
Description: A more elaborate description of the events.
Afterthoughts: Observations and insights, as well as considerations for future lessons.
Last edited by Oh my god JC a bomb on Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh my god JC a bomb

Namer Raena wrote: Lecturer: Raena Corinnois

Attendants: Cliodhna, Katherine, Tarië.

Topic: Observational skills, visualisation, logic and causality.

Description

A small thought exercise was devised to clear up some confusion on a previous lesson involving observational skills. Rather than focusing on the five senses, it was played as a small game of imagination in which Cliodhna, Katherine and Tarië were asked to look upon a lake and memorise its mental image.

During the exercise, I narrated a short series of events and prompted them to continue them to their logical conclusion. I narrated them how I had a small, flat stone in my hands, and tossed it at the water. Tarië narrated how it caused ripples in the water, and bounced thrice. I narrated how it kept going until it hit the rock in the middle of the lake, and Cliodhna narrated how the stone made a noise, clacked and sunk into the water. I narrated how several bubbles and ripples emerged from a different point in the lake, and Katherine narrated how a turtle emerged from the water, disturbed by our games.

The purpose of the exercise is simple: without any visual or auditory stimulus, the attendants were capable conjuring these images in their minds, and use logic and experience to determine what would happen next, with just the initial narration on my end. We discussed how this visualisation helped them determine plenty of things, from the strength in which the stone was tossed at the water, to where it would be on the lake's bottom, as well as how this could be extrapolated to other topics in which their observation and attention to causality can help them figure out the aftermath of an action, even when their regular senses could deceive them.

Afterwards, I proposed a riddle in which the aforementioned turtle was killed and eaten by one of the animal lords, and each lord gave a single statement regarding the issue. When all statements were taken into account, and with the knowledge that a single one of them was true, they were to determine who the culprit was, by examining the situation and following the internal logic of the riddle until they reached the answer.

Last, but not least, I allowed myself a minor demonstration of shaping, and made an illusion of that turtle - now returned to life. This was well received and cheered up the mood considerably, and the class ended a bit later with questions cleared and doubts dispelled.

Afterthoughts:

Interactivity seems to help a lot, as does explaining things clearly and resolving doubts when they come up. I believe it's important for the lecturer to take this not as an occasion to shine and show off their skills, but to let the attendants try their hand at it and shine on their own. As a side note, Katherine's turtle was pretty popular, and I'm considering taking it as an unofficial mascot for my classes now that I'm taking a more active role in them.
Oh my god JC a bomb

Namer Raena wrote:Lecturer: Raena Corinnois
Attendants: Katherine
Topic: Shaping
Description:

We took a small trip to Limbo in order to discuss the intricacies of shaping. Given Katherine's predilection for the use of ectoplasm in combat, it was easy for her to adapt from the use of her psionics to the slightly different approach it takes to shape Limbo's karach. Her technique is already pretty advanced, so our discussion about it was mostly based on the differences between shaping ectoplasm as a psion, karach as a visitor to Limbo, and belief as a Signer.

Afterthoughts:

Katherine has potential and an all too obvious ability, though she is on the fence between joining the Sign of One and the Believers of the Source. While she likes my approach to the Sign of One's philosophy perhaps it would be good for her to interact with Factotum Danae when time allows, especially when it comes to the idea of prophecy and predictions.
Oh my god JC a bomb

Namer Raena wrote:Lecturer: Raena Corinnois

Attendants: Cithrel

Topic: Observational skills, visualisation, causality, shaping and the One.

Description

As Cithrel had expressed interest in the previous classes regarding observational skills that she couldn't assist to, I've taken the liberty of repeating the lesson in the beastlands for her. Much like I did with the previous group, I provided her with a prompt and guided her to continue narrating a short series of event to their conclusion, reaching a similar, albeit not identical result than the previous group.

The purpose of the exercise remains the same: without any visual or auditory stimulus, Cithrel was capable conjuring these images in her mind, and use logic and experience to determine what would happen next, with just the initial narration on my end. In a one on one scenario, she provided with a slightly more complex series of events.

We then moved on to Limbo, to discuss shaping and the techniques involving it. I'm happy to report that she quickly mastered it with little help on my end, and she was able to outperform me with ease. During the exercise, we took the opportunity to discuss my approach to the philosophy of the Sign of One, and the similarities to her own beliefs and thoughts.

Afterthoughts:

Cithrel has shown great potential as a shaper, as well as a preference for the less egotistical approach towards the Sign of One's philosophy. I believe we should keep an eye on her progress and help solve any doubts that she might have - with more than one point of view, if possible.

As an aside, the turtle has resurfaced again. It seemed particularly cantankerous today.