Increasing Security

*Sinlinara

Posted by *Sinlinara »

Aleis has her proposal sent to the relevant Factors (Sasha and Quinn in particular) and to the Factol's office in large sealed envelopes. Each one is seemingly identical and contains several documents; diagrams, notes, and discussion about each.

The first document contains a thorough illustration of a small-sized vault detailed with precise measurements and hand-scribbled notes. Approximately 5ftx5ft, the inside of the vault contains five equally spaced turn-tables, each one suspended over the other. Mountings for Sensory Stones are drawn along the turn-tables which would allow for someone to easily retrieve what they were looking for by turning the table and without having to remove or reach past everything in the way.

A second illustration shows a larger vault, this one the size of a closet; approximately 10ftx10ft. Compared to the smaller version, the intent of this one seems to be a smaller and more compacted version of the Sensoriums. The interior is filled with rows of shelves packed closely together, leaving very little room for maneuvering in order to maximize storage capabilities.

Another diagram is included as well, this one an actual room. There is much less detail compared to the other two, but for the most part it appears to simply be a larger and more spaced out version of the previous illustration. It's clear this one wasn't given much consideration, but was simply added as a possibility.

Finally, there is a page attached which goes into detail on each:
wrote:On the matter of the vault, several things should be considered and I would like to hear back from the Factors on what they think will best suit their purposes.  With that in mind, I'd like to provide my own thoughts and insights into the different aspects and qualities which should be discussed.

Please be aware that no matter what we do it will never be completely invulnerable to unwanted entry.  However, with guards keeping a constant vigil and factoring in our added security I'm sure that even with minimal investments we will find the protections more than sufficient.  However, I would be willing to pay for a portion of the finances myself should the higher-ups desire a more costly final-product.

Size
  • Small: A smaller vault draws less attention, requires the least amount of protection, does not require construction within the interior of the Festhall itself, can be built the quickest, and is by far the most economic option.  The trade-off is lower storage capacity, but as it is unclear if our new security measures will last long enough for greater storage to be relevant this is probably the best option.
  • Large: The increased size makes it unlikely that we will ever run out of space and with proper organization will make it much easier to find and locate specific sensory stones.  This can exist as a renovation of any presently existing room within the Festhall or as an entirely new room.  Understandably, given the tenuous nature of our plans I believe it to be best to save this for consideration after we have had time to consider and evaluate the efficacy of our agreements.
Materials
  • Steel: A composite blend of various metals and materials would be cost-effective, durable, and resistant to forced entry.  A silver plating would help make it more aesthetically pleasing without sacrificing strength or integrity.  For vaults of larger size, this may be the only material that makes economic sense.  The ease with which it can be shaped means that it will also be relatively efficient to produce in a reasonable time-scale.
  • Mithral: Innately aesthetically pleasing, more durable and resistant than steel, and lightweight, this is the material I would enjoy working with the most.  Obtaining it in the quantities needed to construct a large room would be challenging but possible, and it would be sure to be a lovely sight to behold.  However, given the nature of what would be kept inside such a vault would probably be best kept for another, more pleasant, project.  For a smaller vault, it would be a costly but rewarding investment as its properties would make it perfect for our use.  Regardless, it would greatly increase the amount of time needed to construct a vault of any size.
  • Adamantine: This will be the most challenging metal that may still be realistic to use, albeit only for smaller units.  The difficulty of shaping it means that it will be incredibly difficult to create a locking mechanism with, although I believe it may still be possible.  A mechanism can otherwise be produced out of a more shape-able material, however this could introduce a structural weakpoint that would render the rest of the object useless.  The benefit of using this material would be that our vault would be nearly impenetrable from a structural standpoint.  However, it would also take an extraordinarily long time to construct which is not something I think we want to risk when our political ties could easily waver before construction is finished.
  • Composite Construction: It's possible to cut costs by using a shell of a less-expensive material while using a harder material at its core.  Ideally, I would prefer to have a Mithral shell with an Adamantine core.  Although expensive, this would mix the benefits of both materials while still retaining a high degree of structural strength and integrity.  With this method of construction other materials could also be used, including some even more precious like Aurorum.  Construction time continues to be a problem with more expensive and precious metals, however.
Locks and other Security Measures
Admittedly, the mechanics of locks and their construction is something that I have limited experience in, although I think that for our purposes it should be sufficient.  In particular, though, I wanted to discuss the possibilities of other features which may be included.
  • Dual-Locking Mechanisms: This would require the use of two separate keys to be inserted and turned at the same time, which would allow us to more easily monitor who has taken what and curtail frivolous usage of these stones.  I leave it to the Factors and Lady Montgomery who these keys should be assigned to.  The downside is that the added mechanical complexity required will increase the production time and has a greater risk of failing. (Additional simultaneous locking mechanisms are also possible, at greater benefit and cost for each additional mechanism.)
  • Magically Attuned Keys: This would make it nearly impossible to forge a key, and due to the magical nature involved would also mean that less complex mechanical mechanisms would be required to maintain security.  Attuned keys could be anything from Faction Pins  to actual keys with additional magics placed upon them.  The possibilities inherent in this means that it is probably worthy of its own discussion altogether.
    In particular, it is possible that a Factotum or higher-ranker faction pin could act as a pass-key which would unlock the mechanisms.  This could be combined with other methods of securing the vault, or it could suffice as a means all of its own.

I'm eager both to hear what your thoughts on this are and to work on what promises to be an exciting new experience for me.  Once you have decided what would be ideal for us with our current plans I would be more than happy to discuss the financing of this ordeal and can give you an estimate on when it can be expected to be completed. 

With love,
Factotum Aleis
*LiquidDreamer

Posted by *LiquidDreamer »

True to her word, one of the Factol's bard rushes the plans to Montgomery who, through the night, over looks the plans. Satisfied, she passes the layout along to the builders and tell them to prepare on the construction
*Xndar

Posted by *Xndar »

Hearing about the recent security concerns, Vherr spends her free time patrolling the areas of the Festhall the public has access to. Sometimes visible, sometimes hidden in the shadows, she watches, listens, and reports her findings to Factors Sasha and Quinn; slowly accumulating a rough picture of the routine comings and goings of the festhall.

Appended to one of her reports would be the following note:

"Seems to me, from what I've overheard regarding thefts and factors being assaulted, that berks in this city think we lack teeth, and that they needn't worry about the consequences of wronging us. A show of brutality now and again (sooner rather than later) might lessen our security concerns in the long run.

Namer Vherr."