A Sensate's Competition

*Pashan01

Posted by *Pashan01 »

Product of Void,May 15 2010 wrote: Nenir buys a stone and ponders what to do with it. After a while he buys a wizards pointy hat in hopes it would help then shouts, "AH HA...a day in my life perhaps that would be a good stone for people to enjoy? I do enjoy my own life so perhaps they will enjoy it as well".

Later that day Nenir hands over a stone with his name. He writes his name the description of the experience. "To be Nenir for a day".

The memories start with buying a pointy hat and figuring out what to do with the stone, then onto drinking and listening to people. Looking at clothes and getting kicked out after peeking under dresses trying to figure out why women wear such things. He tried to apologise unknowing that it was a woman wearing the dress. Later images of Nenir juggling then fretting over dropping what he thought was the memory stone. Happy it was not broken he left the gems he was toying with to seek out other things. While drinking more he accidental spills some ale on a hard head who tells him he needs to stop drinking before he finds trouble.

"Sir, how can I stop when I do not remember when I began"

With the guard shaking his head Nenir wandered off only to run into a few woman of little clothes.

"Hey cutter 20 jink makes ya dreams come true".

My what an offer, Nenir counted out twenty jink then thought of his dreams. Realising he had none they must have all come true.

"You are truly amazing" He smiled as he handed her the coin walking off.

The day ends with Nenir drinking on the beach thinking to himself "Perhaps I will have some dreams, then wander upon that lady again that would be nice".

He closes his eyes to just darkness no dream or nightmare just time passes.

When Naya'il is delivered of the memory stone containing the rather odd and mundane daily account of the person Nenir, she pauses in contemplation after bearing witness to the experience of finding herself in his shoes, peering under dresses, drinking on a sandy beach and sensing what it might be like not to have dreams. "How peculiar, to have no dreams" was all the namer walking by in the Civic Festhall might have heard her say.

Naya'il returns a polite note via messenger to Nenir thanking him for his entry, noting it to be a valid one.
*Pashan01

Posted by *Pashan01 »

jasonpauldegraaf,May 17 2010 wrote: *Below is a letter sent to the Civic Festhall from the Hall of Records sent in the same package as a curiously colored stone*

To: NavaÂ’il McEwan, The Society of Sensation, Civic Festhall, Sigil Main
From: Amycus Thorne, Hall of Records Cartographer and Clerk

Miss NavaÂ’il McEwan

Greetings from the Hall of Records!

It has come to my attention that you’ve recently begun a competition of sorts to record unique and uncommon sensations on a sensory stone for the enjoyment of your faction. 

Delighted to hear of the generous reward, I acquired a sensory stone in hope to capture a unique feeling or experience for the members of the Sensates.  Though I had no initial ideas in mind regarding what I would attempt to record, I quickly found myself in an extraordinarily peculiar position and was fortunate enough to record the experience on the sensory stone hereby enclosed. 

It began like this: On a typical charting expedition to the Plane of Ice, I found myself in combat with a large, unruly Frost Giant Mage named Jarl.  Not used to the intensity of his arcane powers, he quickly held me to the ground with an evocation, followed by many more spells thereafter.  Before I knew it, the unthinkable had dawned on me: I was about to die. 

Not ever having experienced death, I was somewhat uncertain what was about to happen.  Darkness fell over me, and I soon transitioned out of this plane.  Then, in the distance, I saw a brilliant, white light.  It grew closer and larger, and though it was brighter than any sun I’ve seen, it did not blind me and was enticingly pleasant to look at.  Remembering the sensory stone I had in my map satchel, I quickly reached in my bag and activated it.  Words fail to describe what followed, though I will do as best I can to put my experience into words.  In what seemed like an eternity and an instant at the same time, I was soon surrounded by beings of pure light.  Their presence, as you soon will feel, was nothing like I’ve ever felt before: Acceptance, love, belonging, joy, laughter, power, fierceness and warmth enveloped me like a holy fog, soaking me through.  I knew instinctively and immediately that they were for me, knew me, and were (though somewhat paradoxically) there to judge the life I’ve lived. 

Their glory, that flowing gold and white brilliance surrounding them, was like nothing I’ve ever known, and even now words fail me as I attempt to communicate my experience.  Not only did it satisfy every soul-longing in my heart, it curiously had other characteristics as well.  For instance, a taste came over my tongue of sweet rain, perfectly ripe fruit, and a million embraces as they moved smoothly around me.  Their words were like kisses over my body as they spoke, and their voices were thunderstorms and gentleness at the same time.  I quickly found myself on my knees, unable to stand in the holiness of their presence.  Their weight of glory weighed on my like a strong hand, and I’ve never known such perfect love and heavy fear at the same time, for they were good and terrible beings at the same time.  I was undone!  Living colors came off of them that I’ve never seen before, carrying with them lightness, laughter and encouragement.  The largest of these beings approached me.  My skin shone now with some of his glory, covering me with what looked like golden dust and diamond oil.   

“Are you worthy to be in our presence, mortal?” One of them asked, the words reverberating through me like tidal wave of sound, compassion and strength.  Without knowing why, I immediately fell down.  Low and on my face, I could barely muster the initiative to speak.  The being asked the same question again, and I remained silent, my palms and forehead to the ground under me, which had the appearance of sapphires and silver, and felt softer than the gentlest touch and solid as metal.  Still overwhelmed he asked me a third time, to which I finally replied, “Only You know!  Only You know!” 

In front of me appeared my life, from start to finish.  In seconds my story played out before me in precise detail.  All who were there saw and knew, and I was humbled all the more as my shortcomings and failures were exposed.  Curiously enough, none of the beings of light seemed at all impressed at what you and I would consider the accomplishments in my lifetime.  For whatever reason, they were solely interested in how I interacted with people, what my intentions were, how I treated others, how I reacted to them and, ultimately, if I truly cared for the people who were put into my life.  The scene vanished as quickly as it came. 

“Look at me, mortal,” he spoke, his voice a thousand rainstorms and the coolest breezes.  His appearance was like crystals and jasper, his feet a holy fire of burning  bronze, and his eyes, deeper than a hundred seas, held my soul in the most beautiful and terrible captivity.  “Your time has not come.  You shall return.”

Instantly I found myself in the mortuary, grasping my map satchel and gasping for breath.  A Dustman helped me to my feet, and, when I recovered, soon found my way back to the Hall of Records. 

Enclosed in the sensory stone of my experience.  For those daring enough to activate it, be prepared for the power and brilliance of the heavens, and all the love, awesomeness and holy fear that comes with facing beings of pure goodness, might, honor, strength and love.  May it be to you the ultimate sensational experience.

I pray this finds you well.  Sincerely,

Amycus Thorne, Cartographer, Hall of Records

Naya'il duly recieves the letter from Amycus Thorne and is rather impressed when she unlocks and taps into briefly the memories within. She touches the stone but does not let herself be tempted at this point to delve into the full sensations and experience that the memory contained within promise. She decided to savour that one later for its full effect...perhaps take it somewhere private, away from the Festhall. Though baring similarities to afew of her own, the depth of the sensation and experience she felt might be contained in this sensory stone was worthy of more time and study.

She sends a note in return to Mister Thorne.

To: Amycus Thorne, Hall of Records Cartographer and Clerk
From:NayaÂ’il McEwan, The Society of Sensation, Civic Festhall, Sigil Main

Mister Thorne,

I thank you for your competition entry and deem it to be a valid one. Indeed, the brief glimpse I made into the memory was most interesting and I will be studying and assessing it against the other entries in due course.

Naya'il McEwan
*Pashan01

Posted by *Pashan01 »

Product of Void,May 17 2010 wrote: *shiv wanders by and sees an update on the listing he tilts his head then goes in and buys a stone*.

Later he relaxes in a tree pondering what memory to put into it.  A short while later he returns dropping off the stone and his name when asked he says, "Desert life".  Then buys another stone leaving to create another to enjoy.

Images of clue blue skies with a warm wind on your face, looking down at the sand you see a hand taking a fist full of sand letting it flow between his fingers. A sigh a moment of relaxing before the shout is heard. Thoughts flow in,  "Pity the scouts were right".

Looking down the hill the undead army is plainly seen, looking left to right taking note of all those dressed in orange and black.  The arm is raised, the order known, a helm goes down turning all into shades of red and black. 

An elbow to the new recruit to his left you see a dagger drawn, cutting the palm, and being tossed aside.  Many follow in such a strange practice, then a hum of arcane being prepared to sturdy all those around.  The army gets closer, the sword falls pointing, its time for war.

A banshee would sound quieter then the roar of the men beside you charging forward a symphony of steel, shouts, and pain.  Spinning, running, slamming anything close with a mace this man is embracing chaos, laughing as he shatters undead bone.

Circling back to were he started to begin again he notices the man from before, a wight to close to defend.  Rage fills him seeing it grab a hold of the new recruit barely twenty summers old.  Dropping his shield he uses both hands putting all his force into the attack.  Freeing his fellow man from one danger though a skeleton with a sword closes in.  Using himself as a shield he continues the spin pushing the other to the ground taking the blunt of the attack.

A rapier stuck in his chest luckily missing anything vital, he sees the next foe a zombie. He grabs the blade pulling the skeleton into the way bone rains on his mask.  Free of one threat he finishes the zombie with his mace. 

Clear for a moment a shapely woman charges past barely stopping but to grab the hilt tearing the rapier out, then throwing it into another.  Holding his chest but a moment sees something throwing magic against the woman who charged past. Covering one of his eyes a ray comes out tearing away some of the spells.  A dark chuckle is heard as he takes out a potion downing it.

Blood-lust, and rage consume him a burr of motion and destruction follows until the battle is over. Sifting through fallen injured move one dead another, to properly destroyed.  He loads a pipe and mutters something lighting it with his finger exhaling he looks around as well.  Finding who he is looking for he exhales smoke and pokes the lad with his foot.

"no dy'n on me watch lad...tis more work ta be done"

The young man twenty summers old is now, much older and knows the truth to those words.  After wiping to gore from his face he nods and smiles "Yes, Sheik".
She liked the feel of the sand, the warmth, the sense of sun on face. Then war, the sense of glorious battle against such a foe, her duty, a powerful rage against undead and the saving of a life. There was much that was familiar in that memory yet different as well. She was not sure how much of it all was 'new' in particular, but she tucked the stone away amongst the other entries nevertheless.

Naya'il returns a polite note via messenger to Shiv Shadowsong thanking him for his entry, noting it to be a valid one.
*Pashan01

Posted by *Pashan01 »

She noted down another proposed entry. One not set to sensory stone but one promised as a demonstration after conversation in the bazaar. One person named Hildmor had invited her to watch him swim one of the lava lakes in the Abyss. At the time she had concern over the validity of his entry, quoting the rule about 'life threatening'. He had assured her, however, that he had adequate immunity. A little sceptical she allowed it. She herself had such an immunity but would never dare to swim a lava lake. This was indeed a potential new and interesting experience though she still had some reservation as to the dangers.

However, she had heard rumour around the city that one Hildmor was now deceased and wondered if it were true. If so, she supposed she might have to scrap this entry and render it invalid if the person no longer existed. She hesitated however, Sigil was an odd place after all. She decided that she would not scrap the competition entry until she had learned the truth for herself.

Naya sends a note anyway, unsure if it would reach him or where the note might end up if the person was dead.

Mister Hildmor,

I deem your entry for the competition to be a valid one. Please arrange a suitable time for the demonstration. I bid you to respect the rules of the competition and take all precautions necessary.

Naya'il McEwan
*Pashan01

Posted by *Pashan01 »

There are more entries to be had, she was sure of it.

Naya'il marks the names of the valid entrants so far upon the original notice.

Garzdem Deadsmell
Ceern Rotract
Nenir
Amycus Thorne
Shiv
Taris Koth ((added 25/05/2010))

((edited))
Hildmor - confirmed deceased, Naya removes from list
*Reptiller

Posted by *Reptiller »

A messenger declared that Hildmor died in Carceri after some of his criminal acts.
*jasonpauldegraaf

Posted by *jasonpauldegraaf »

Alone at his work in the Hall of Records charting the inner layers of Mercuria, Amycus Thorne receives a sealed envelope upon his desk from another clerk. "Ah, my thanks." Setting aside his work for a moment, he takes out a silver letter opener, breaks the seal, and opens it. It reads:
wrote:To: Amycus Thorne, Hall of Records Cartographer and Clerk
From:NayaÂ’il McEwan, The Society of Sensation, Civic Festhall, Sigil Main

Mister Thorne,

I thank you for your competition entry and deem it to be a valid one. Indeed, the brief glimpse I made into the memory was most interesting and I will be studying and assessing it against the other entries in due course.

Naya'il McEwan
Looking it over, Amycus' curious half-smile lingers lightly on his face. "It appears Miss McEwan received my sensory stone. Splendid. We shall see in time what becomes of this rather curious competition."

Setting the note in his letter box, Amycus returns peacefully to his mapping.

*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

Once more a new Sensory Stone is brought to Civic Festhall, if asked, an imp brought it from his master for the competition and explained it to be given to Naya'il for the competition.

*contents will be told later, at least partially if she decides to look into the Sensory Stone*

*Pashan01

Posted by *Pashan01 »

Naya was delighted to finally receive more interest into the Sensate Competition.

After spending a few hours in the bazaar that afternoon promoting it by notice, leaflet and word, only to receive a little interest in return, and what interest there had been had been more so on account of her wings and celestial heritage, enjoying a brief discussion with some gentleman over a curious plane with a city known as Ravenloft whose inhabitants he said were not so dissimilar to those of Sigil, but who had not left his name so she couldn't tell whether this was valid entry and the man hadn't been too concerned, a few others who though asked interesting questions, though struggled with the concept of the sensory stone and being unable to draw and didn't seem to wish to get creative and make an entry....

...well....Naya gave up for the day, a little despondent and headed for the Civic Festhall to see if any further entries had been delivered there. And one had.

She took the Sensory Stone to the lecture room and sat to one of the benches, laid finger upon the Stone and activated it.
*Mr_Otyugh

Posted by *Mr_Otyugh »

*as the Sensory Stone is activated by her touch, a cloudy image opens up, in what appears like a chamber filled with arcane circles and scriptures on the floor and walls, of red, purple, green and blue color, tinting the room softly with similar lights, a person stands in middle of the room, it appears like a human male with a dusty dull coloured robe on, mask with multiple gems sinked in it, hunching to lean on a staff, with a backpack on his back... Marius stands in middle of the room and speaks out...*

"Greetings Naya'il McEwan... once I saw this competition to come up, I decided to deliver this simple sensation for you to judge. The true power of Arcane, prepare yourself for something you've never felt before."

*If she continues still touching the stone, he indeed starts to chant darkened words, not quite the same channeling of arcane he used earlier that she might still remember, if this is even him? The arcane in the room starts to circle and whirl around, lifting hairs all over body and bringing tingling sensation of power, as if entire air was electric, slowly the circles and scriptures starts to drain from the floor and walls, becoming drawn to his hands as the ever growing louder chant gathers all the energy in the room, lighting the entire room to show him even better, no longer appearing quite as hunched or weak as he has given out, robe fluttering to sides wildly due to the strength of spell and incase she has not yet lifted finger off the Sensory Stone by this time...

He slings the pure raw howling spell at the Sensory Stone, while rationally the spell does not come through the Sensory Stone at all...*

*to be continued if she doesn't lift her finger off*