A Wrong Sensation

*Ceremorph

Posted by *Ceremorph »

Echoes resounded throughout the space of Elloweth Theater, the only noise in a space far more accustomed to thunderous applause and gales of laughter. Still, the forlorn sound of heels clicking on the parquet stage floor seemed more fitting for Erin Darkflame Montgomery's purpose for being there. In over fifteen years spent living in the Festhall, she'd seen this stage serve poets and musicians, orators and acrobats, even an odd erotic play written and performed by gibberlings. But never before had it held only a pair of wheeled beds, each serving as a platform for a writhing body. Over a day now since Rhys and Amelie had been found in the Reserved Sensorium, lying insensate on the thickly piled carpets, faces locked in expressions of agony.

The stone which caused this... her eyes flicked to it, innocuously sitting atop its own pedastal, looking like any other. But she herself had examined the thing, noticed the missing markers that would identify it as of faction manufacture. Someone had placed this in the position of an extremely vital stone, most likely hoping that whatever it was that had captured the minds of these two would have rather done the same to herself. Now, the stone was off-limits, even though at least a dozen members of the faction had volunteered to attempt to follow the two already fallen to the device. The risk was too high to gamble on such a rash plan working; Darkwood would certainly try to use this against her in some way as things were.

And so it starts again, she thought as another soft whimper escaped from the human girl. The problem with being marked for death by an immortal is that they have all the time they need to annoy... or worse.
*ToothDecay

Posted by *ToothDecay »

The disaster did not escape the ever curious Gems ears as she strolled through the Civic Festhall, hearing of two Sensates falling in comatosed state, she tries to pry out more to find out what had exactly happened from any nearby Factotum or higher ranked member, he facial expression would be one of genuine concern. And to some ears might be heard her half-volume mumbled questions to herself, whether she should put her planned event on hold or continue, quite seemingly divided, but for now she hasn't made it official to way or another eitherway.

Would she meet a factotum of any rank she'd try to ask the following questions...
    [i]"Oh oh!"[/i] a hasty exclamation to gain attention of the individual with a wave of hand [i]"Excuse me mister/miss, but could you tell me what happened? I heard two of our members had fallen comatosed because of faulty Sensory Stone, how are mister Rhys and miss Amelie?"[/i] she'd tilt her head while asking this and soon continue [i]"And do you know if there are other Sensory Stones that are also "faulty"? Just asking so I don't accidentally use any that might harm me."[/i] Her tone, demeanor and expression would be that of a person trying to do her share of work as she continues [i]"If you need any kind of alchemical or arcane assistance, let me know!"[/i] though with a half-hearted chuckle continue [i]"Of course if you have all under control, I understand."[/i] she'd offer a bright smile, despite the relatively grave situation. Before leaving she'd however drop a one last question with a hint of pretense of just remembering it [i]"Oh! And one more question... are there any records for brought Sensory Stones in past few days?"[/i] her head would once more tilt to the side as she looks at the person. [/li]
*Pashan01

Posted by *Pashan01 »

Naya'il too had caught wind of the two comatose members and made haste to the Civic Festhall to see how she might be of aid. She would be heard asking if her rudimentary healing and divine touch might help to bring light to allay the darkness facing their Factotum Rhys and the miss Amelie. In fact, unless prevented, Naya'il would enter the Theatre and move to the beds of the prone duo with the intention to enable any kind of recovery her presence and celestial aura, together with soothing touch to brow might affect upon the pair. She would spend a good amount of time to see if this had any beneficial effect and ease their mental distress in their enforced state. With little other information to go on, it was all she could offer at this point.

Naya'il would be seen to be asking of other members of anyone having seen any odd or unusual visitors to the Reserved Sensorium where the false stone had lain. Then if, Erin Montgomery herself happened to be about or one of her trusted Factotums, Naya'il would directly question her or them asking if there was any relevance of the particular original sensory stone the false one had replaced and what memories and senses it was supposed to have contained.

Naya'il offered to remain on call in the event of any change or help she could give. As for the recent plans made with the gnome girl Miss Faer for the upcoming Illusions and Truths spectacle, she would leave a short note for the blue haired gnome.

Faer dear,
In respect of the latest atrocious attack upon our faction, I am sure the Society and other members would not expect all to halt for this crisis. I believe we should continue with the plans for the most part "the show must go on" as many would say, but we might wish to consider the security aspects of such an event now as well. A light hearted sensory distraction for members and public alike might be beneficial to all at this difficult time.

With the Theatre and the adjoining bar occupied by our poor afflicted brethren, I would suggest we change the location to that of the Art Gallery, or if need be, away from the Festhall alltogether and make use of the Foul Spirit Inn. I leave that to your discretion and perhaps a late notice of venue we can manage to accommodate without too much difficulty.

With warm regards,
Naya'il
*Ceremorph

Posted by *Ceremorph »

Gleaming ivory teeth working at her bottom lip, Erin Montgomery watched as the two figures exited the theater.

Dream magic... similar enough to the magic inherent in sensory stones to work, perhaps. That young halfling is too smart by half, and I wouldn't be surprised to find her name well-known someday.

A faint croaking from behind her pulled her attention, causing her to turn just in time to see the prone figure of Rhys begin to shudder violently. She rushed to his pallet, brushing aside the feeding tubes as she called upon Diancecht repeatedly, waves of healing energy pouring from her hands into the elf's body. Yet somehow, it seemed as if she was pouring water into a sieve, the body failing more quickly than even her most powerful regenerative spells strove to keep it alive. What seemed to the Factol like hours was in actuality only mere minutes, until with a final rattling breath Rhys' body stilled, changing from life to a sprawled corpse, face set in a rictus of pain and hands clenched into claws.

It seems a week was not enough, she thought as tears rolled down her face, mingling with the sweat of exhaustion. Let us hope the halfling's gambit bears fruit, or Amelie will be surely lost as well...
*ToothDecay

Posted by *ToothDecay »

The gnomes spell "Dawns Waking" had reached its testing phase, but the gnome had not dared to make her way to the Festhall for testing it on the two, in her mindset it might have done more bad than good towards the end. Working hastily she attempts to gather further citizen to test the spell in the coming nights, under her eyes small bags of weariness start to gather as the hours of sleep grow shorter each passing night.
*ToothDecay

Posted by *ToothDecay »

The evening had come and Gem started to make her way into Taleks and Karas resting locations to explain the spell further for them and how it would work. Once done, she'd wait that they'd both go to sleep and start her concentration phase, focusing for near ten minutes before she softly casted the spell to not disturb her own focus.

Both spells would be casted during different time of night, rather forcing poor Gem to stay up late, as she intended to observe and study if there are any notable side-effects occurring. A burden of worry gathering over her shoulders as the pressure of time running out inevitably made her try to hurry the project onwards.

((Rolls for Ceremorph:
Faer'Chik *caster*
    Spellcraft: 55 (40 [base] + 15 [1d20]) Wisdom: 8 (0 [base] + 8 [1d20]) Fortitude Save: 11 (8 [base] + 3 [1d20]) [/li]
Talek Waynolt *test subject*
    Constitution: 13 (2 [base] + 11 [1d20]) Will Save: 38 (30 [base] + 8 [1d20]) [/li]
Kara *test subject*
    Constitution: 20 (2 [base] + 18 [1d20]) Will Save: 41 (24 [base] + 17 [1d20]) [/li]
))[/color]
*Ceremorph

Posted by *Ceremorph »

The spell manages to be cast, but something in the process of casting: perhaps an altered inflection, the faint difference in a dainty gesture, causes a change during its casting, something unexpected from Gem's research. The image she chooses to project appears within the sleeping minds of the subjects with surprising ease, but it's almost as if the essence of magic is somehow twisted, pulling a greater amount of energy from her as she maintains it. Rather than being a simple dweomner of the third or fourth circle, instead it pulls at and twists the gnome illusionist's mind in a way that immediately reveals her spell as something most would see as a masterwork: a spell of the eighth tier, and one that almost certainly needs to be renamed.

For as she casts it upon Talek, she can sense a change in the magic as its illusion is overlaid upon the actual dream, not replacing it but rather masking it. But even more than that, there is a thread of conjuration that can be felt running through the illusion, almost as if the spell is of both schools. Only the sensation can be felt during the casting on Talek, but the second casting comes more easily, the link to Kara's dream occurring in a fraction of the time... and as the link is held, a coalescing in the air above her, something seeming almost akin to a portal... and glimpsed upon the other side, as if seen through a wall of mist...

The original dream, spreading out like an undiscovered land.
*ToothDecay

Posted by *ToothDecay »

Despite the unexpected feelings and initial results of the spellcasting, Gem persists on continuing the spell to get as much data as she possibly could collect to master the spell before the attempt to save her fellow Sensates. She'd squeeze her focus further although beginning to feel weary due to the spells unexpected price of energy.

The combination of conjuration and illusion made her assume she had somehow accidentally dabbled into shadow side of the illusions to create a shadow conjuration of sorts, soon ceasing the spell to write notes on her diary of the failure.

With Kara, she'd quickly shut the link and dispel any spell effect she had managed to produce, exhaling a frustrated sigh she starts to write down the testing progress down, only to fall asleep in middle of writing. Toll of the spell had been greater than she had anticipated.
*Pashan01

Posted by *Pashan01 »

There was very little else Naya could think to do. The word through out the Society chambers told of Factotum Rhys' death. Naya wondered if the damage or bond of this mind coma that had caught the Factotum would be severed or removed upon death anyway but it was moot point. Naya rued her lost ability to resurrect or raise his rigored corpse in order to find out. It would be a while until her studies as priestess would re-enable that latent celestial power within her. She quietly entered the chamber where the body remained ready for enterrment and offered simple prayer of peace for Rhys soul.

What more could she do for the one still living? She had not seen the gnome Faer'Chik to talk of her research since leaving Factol Erin that eve but could only hope the gnome was making solid and swift progress to solution. Naya, thought of her old powers with some regret and with little hope of answer given her novice abilities as priestess now, she prayed to Pelor for simple miracle, vague though her knowledge was of Amelie's condition, her request was for one that would release the sensate of the harmful effects of the false sensory stone.

((OOC info for Ceremorph - This is just for her to try and for attempt, Naya is currently only 4 levels of divine class so a miracle of this nature is unlikely to be forthcoming :) ))
*ToothDecay

Posted by *ToothDecay »

The time had finally come thought the little gnome, rubbing her hands together as the sweat of expectation started to gather up the hands. She didn't really know what to expect when moving within the nightmare, but she trusted on the friends she was bringing with her.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Official Report: Case Amelie
<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>By: Faer'Chik Hed'Uran

I was assigned in task to create an illusion based spell that was intended as "reverse nightmare" to soothe the pain and feelings of poor miss Amelie and mister Rhys. However alas the spell designing and testing took too long for me to help mister Rhys, I take full responsibility for the delay that it took. While my spell did not work as intended, it still provided means to save miss Amelie, for by mistake my spell had mixed the schools of Illusion and Conjuration providing a way to enter the dream, or rather nightmare. Neither me nor Factol Erin Montgomery quite knew what to expect and decided it was best that I gather a group to travel within. And so I did, I chose four companions to travel in with me...
    [u]Mister Drakos[/u] [i]a peculiarly coloured man with whom I have traveled much in past, within his grasp is the powers of nature he uses to aid companions and strike the foes.[/i] [u]Lady Kara[/u] [i]a strong and disciplined woman from this city called Neverwinter, paladin in training, just and ready to do what is right.[/i] [u]Teuso-sama[/u] [i]blind tiefling martial artists, not to be mixed into handicapped or crippled, as his other senses has heightened into top notch condition.[/i] [u]Miss Vinnadis[/u] [i]unlike most air-folk, or rather genasi, this one has lived most of her life with gnomes, she and I both share rather similar thoughts and interests, another of thinker sorts is always useful to have around![/i] [/li]
These I chose and finally told them what was the deal under confidentiality and within Society of Sensation halls. I told them the condition and what our plan was, and gave briefing as far as I knew, and already miss Vinnadis showed her value by thinking of bringing something of value to miss Amelie with us to the dream.

Many questions were asked which I tried to answer the best I could, but all the four agreed to still come with me to the dream, so we went to meet Erin Montgomery Factol Erin Montgomery within the private archives. After short while we were given Puffy the stuffed pink dragon, though we didn't know the name until later, as it was something of value to miss Amelie. I gave it to miss Vinnadis as it was her idea.

Now I started to cast my spell and fell in trance for several minutes to prepare for the spellcasting, I'm unaware of my surroundings at this time. Then I casted the spell which seemed to soothe the pain for passing moment on miss Amelie, then created a portal above her, this portal giving looming images of dark clouds and gruesome machines within her "memory". After short passing moment we all stepped in.

The nightmare was one of unpleasant terror, painful cries, thick fog, and machines far ahead. Armies of winged terrors fluttering above the machines, one of them coming forth to greet me and the others. She tried to make us go into the machinery as well, but her talent seemed to fail, miss Vinnadis was close to falling to the magical effect... the succubi then fled back to the machines, we prepared for worst and traveled forth at the contructs, only to notice that it was miss Amelie stuck in it, being cut by countless mechanical arms and healed right after it, in eternal torture.

Initially we tried to destroy the machine, but it proved no use as there came a huge fiend, a marilith, to make demands and even offer a deal... I did keep the deal in mind as alternative plan in case everything else failed, but for the moment kept quiet. We went forth with new plan, trying to use the stuffed dragon to revive Amelie from the dream, mister Teuso would sneak by while Drakos, Kara and I would keep marilith and the succubi occupied, miss Vinnadis tried to calm Amelie down with music.

The plan finally worked! Despite most of my magic being useless within the dream, but at least my friends could save miss Amelie, and the memory was shattered, we all were tossed back into the Private Archive in which we told Erin Montgomery what had happened, apparently the Sensory Stone had also disintegrated same time. We had bested its memory.

Victorious we walked away with the gratitude of Society of Sensation. I could only be happy to have friends like them with me that time.

Faer'Chik Hed'Uran
Also known as Gem.
Namer of Society of Sensation[/font]</span>

((Thanks to DM Ceremorph for awesome event!))