An Open Letter To The Transcendent Order

*Iggwilv

Posted by *Iggwilv »

The other vampire smiles again. They pass the arena and the moving twisting shadows of sparring Ciphers within.

"Yes, that is what we pursue. Every thought flowing with instinct. Every action fluid and conducted with the purity and commitment of that act you and I know so well. I think if the instinct were to take you, you could learn much among us. I could show you if you like. Show you how it is for me, but it may not be easy."
*Miraie

Posted by *Miraie »

"I'm inclined to learn," she says, nodding. Her expression remains fairly neutral. "Perhaps you can show me something to convince me that becoming a Cipher is a path I want to pursue. If so, I would seek the training you offer regardless."

*Iggwilv

Posted by *Iggwilv »

"Once as a favour to Factol Montgomery I recorded a sensation stone. It will give you a perfect experience as to how it feels for your thoughts and instincts to be one. The problem is the Sensates keep it in the private Sensorium. I doubt they'd share it feely."

The vampire smiles and his manner suggests this may very well be a test.
*Miraie

Posted by *Miraie »

// Bump. Also, would it be acceptable to hire Sienna and Silas to do the job instead? I believe that could be a nifty solution. And I get to be the Johnson. I will not backstab anyone, promise. I'm just here to put deniable in "deniable assets". Promise.
*Miraie

Posted by *Miraie »

(Related to an EM_Sunshine event and Iggy's quest)

Factotum Shirala of the Sensates promised Ms. Abigail Weir a chance to discuss the sensory stone. This favor was granted because she had a small hand in helping the Sensates to recover the diary of Dismarion Who-walks-Far.

She is making an attempt to use this favor in order to obtain more information about the sensory stone she needs. Likewise, she would much like to access it, given she did not ask other rewards for her participation.

(It seems unlikely that Ms. Sienna and Mr. Silas will do the thieving, so Ms. Abigail has sought an alternative route towards the stone. Please judge whether it is applicable.)
*Miraie

Posted by *Miraie »

She is at the Gymnasium once more, speaking. It is the thing to do, and the doing of the things is the thing she has come to do well. Or so she would say, if asked. Of course, it would not be very reasonable to speak about the doing of things to people who are doing things. That is why she must have something else to say: "Sword's grace. This cycle, I am speaking about failure, variety and the body as a tool."

The woman spends a moment appraising her crowd. It is always good leave time for one's words to sink in. Unless it is not, of course. The decision must be made on the spot: "When one is interested in mastering thought without action, one may be tempted to forget about thought and reflection entirely. I have spoken of the importance of reflection before. You might say that stopping to think about one's actions is a failure in itself, but it may be a failure you will have to bear until you come to know your place in the Multiverse. How else would one hear the Cadence? It is remarkably difficult to hear things when you are not listening. Thought is action; it is necessary to reflect on one's failures before one can assume to know anything about one's place in the Multiverse. Further still, it may be another failure to neglect reflecting on one's successes."

She pauses, her eyes unblinking. There is no need to. Failing to breathe unless to speak, not blinking unless necessary - both are actions that signify who she is. A sharp breath. The woman resumes speaking: "You hear that it does not matter what you do as long as you keep acting and it is true. But it is also unreasonable to assume you can do all the things at once. That is why you choose. I punch things." She opens her eyes a little. Stating the thing she does so simply has become a source of joy. "In the punching of things I learn that things must be punched differently for each punch to have the desired impact. Just as a dragon is different from a celestial, one dragon is also different from another. I have reflected on my punches and now I know how to punch a dragon remarkably well. It is a sensible thing to learn when you spend a lot of time punching dragons."

A brief pause before she continues: "Because I have punched many different things, I have come to learn how to punch things effectively without thinking about the act of punching. But if punching was all I did, I would never have learned why it is true that acting is more important than punching. That is why I also talk. In the talking of things, I learn that each talk must be talked differently for your words to have the desired impact. Just as a crowd is different from a single person, a Ms. Chassiel is different from a Ms. Tammy. I have reflected on my words and now I know how to word remarkably well. It is a sensible thing to learn when you spend a lot of time putting things into words."

Another pause, barely enough for another sharp breath: "The clever among you have connected the two doings. In the doing of things I have realized that all action is inherently one. There are always circumstances for action and inaction, and ways of acting that fit the circumstances. Knowing how to act in many situations will help you to act in those situations, but knowing how to act will help you act wherever you are."

Her eyes scan the crowd, however big or small it may be. Indeed, she would be perfectly happy talking to herself, for that is also a kind of a crowd: "Thus we arrive to the subject of body. Just as punches and words are different and spoken differently, so too are the punchers and the speakers. No body is worse than another when it comes to acting, just as no body is equal to another body. Each is different. It makes sense to hone one's body to make it the perfect tool for acting, but I want to suggest something different. I claim that you do not need a body to act. We act with our bodies because our bodies are the things we are accustomed to acting with. Indeed, we can lower our hands and stop the punching in favor of talking. Can we not cease to act with our bodies in order to act with something else? Mind and spirit are not the enemy. Body is not the only seat of action. A wraith knows this to be true. Do we?"

// While waiting for the effects of an action, it is sometimes reasonable to take another. This is why Ms. Abigail finds herself in the doing of things once more.