Prayers of a Selûnite

This forum represent casual roleplay within the Sigil streets, its bars, and other "walk-in" roleplay avenues.
Red the Rogue

Posted by Red the Rogue »

It was a lot to take in with the past few cycles. Sharon knew well enough from her gut that something was wrong in recent weeks, starting as a small streak of bad luck. It was never this bad before...

... And the tarot cards that belonged to Quinn in the past showed it. The images of those cards on Sasha and Dace's coffee table burned vividly into her mind. The Queen Mother that represented herself, the past that hinted at hidden truths and a betrayal. The present reaffirming her place in the circle, strength through adversity and the chaos of combat. The future... a dark one of hopelessness, terrible secrets, and disaster. Even though her own faith emphasized the importance of the reading, she always hated it, but she couldn't deny it. She knew well enough the cards were right, that something terrible would happen if she didn't break the hex soon enough.

An'aroluth confirmed those suspicions. There was most definitely a fey curse on her, a destined fate of tragedy with a subtle trigger, one she still had time to break. With the overwhelming support of friends in the Trail House, from offers of hex-breaking rituals to the gifting of Adorabella's lucky coin to keep her safe, she knew she wouldn't face this alone. Sharon knew there was one thing she still had to do, however.

Pray.

The weather in Karasuthra was fickle that evening. Cloudy, windy, rainy. It wasn't the best time to be outside, but there Sharon sat in the damp grass where the moonlight shone. The Selûnite placed down a bowl of moonstone and a bottle of cold milk before herself. She took a moment of pause, looking at the shadowy shapes of the wilderness around her, then to the makeshift altar before her. Sharon closed her hands together over the pendant of Selûne, lifted her gaze skyward toward the moon, and began her prayer in earnest.

"Our Lady of Silver, my guide through rough waves and calm rivers all these years...
I seek again your guiding light, among these other worlds."

"A terrible curse fallen on to us, to see us to misfortune and damned fates...
A future of Waxworks, of the Muted Hag, of the Cyclone."

"In these dire days, I beseech for your guiding light once more...
To be rid of this fate, for my wife and myself."

Sharon reached for the bottle of milk. She tugged it open and poured it into the bowl of moonstone as her offering.
Sharon Raynsford - Experienced adventurer finding renewed purpose beyond her prime.
Lyanna Wayfarer - Traveler of worlds, cultural explorer, and experienced physician.
Tavia - Bardess, tale-teller, daring-doer.
Red the Rogue

"An offering of Milk, and a stone born from the moon... Yet this moon does not feel right. I see not her face in it." A voice, bestial yet hollow and angelic rang out behind her. Sharon froze that moment, then slowly turned to regard the speaker. A wolf, definitely an intelligent one. A lycanthrope? She didn't question it.

"... No?"

"This place isn't right. But.. I think it'll do.. The Gates are far from here, and the light feels wrong. Yet, a prayer was heard."

Sharon rested her hands on her knees. "That indeed it is. I trust she offers guidance?"

"So far from Toril, so close to the Spire, under the visage of a new Lady, and you ask upon the Maiden of the Moon for Guidance?"

Her shoulders slump a bit at that, then inclined her head. "... Yes."

The wolf yawned, looking past Sharon to the waters. "A curse, something of Fey. Born of another world. A power that would do you and your beloved harm."

"Yes... To see myself chattel to the fey courts, and my love to loss and obscurity."

"How come one as brilliant, old, and wise as you can not see the path before you? Is it that obscured? You ask a power to cure you of this curse, so far away from their realm, so far away from home. That is not a path someone as wise as you would choose."

She paused as she considered. "... I could venture home, to Toril. Or a path to the Gates of the Moon. You heard my prayer, though?"

The wolf licks his jowl, looking at Sharon. "A Message was heard. A call had to be answered. She answers all her Prayers, in one way or another."

Sharon slowly nodded her head. "I am intent on following her words, her guidance, whatever her answer is."

"The Staircase, it leads to the Gates. But if that is beyond your reach, or the fear is to great to handle..." It scratches lightly at the dirt. "A woman. Kind and motherly. Waterdeep she calls home. Selune's Smile, the Tavern where heroes are born."

Sharon pushes herself up, leaving the bowl and milk on the ground. "Two paths made clear." She smiled a little. "... Thank you."

"Be warned, For the Phase of the Moon will decide your destiny. She can be cold, and fierce, if you trouble her at the wrong time."

"I do not intend to trouble her at the wrong time." She looks thoughtful. "If she is cold and fierce, however, I will understand. It is almost the full moon now."

"Both paths will be hard in their own way, And your beloved may not care to bathe in her visage." It pauses a moment... "But trust in her Radiance, Grandma, and know that all love is alive under her light."

"I shall, and always will. Thank you."

"Turn to the moon and she will be your guide." It gets up from its resting spot and starts to wander off into the distance.

"Take care." She smiled as he left.

---------------------------------------

Sharon looked up at the moon. Of course it wasn't Selûne, and yet a prayer answered. She knew full well where to go, and the Infinite Staircase was well within her reach. The sorceress returned home, intent on packing a little extra for the path she must take. The journey had just begun...
Sharon Raynsford - Experienced adventurer finding renewed purpose beyond her prime.
Lyanna Wayfarer - Traveler of worlds, cultural explorer, and experienced physician.
Red the Rogue

It had been some time since Sharon's prayer in Karasuthra. Determined as ever to reach her destination, her goal, the sorceress planned a trip down the Infinite Staircase with Leyana beside her. Having enlisted the help of Drusus from the Planewalker's Guild as her guide, and the help of Arloid, Melany, Fritz and The Trail House members Adorabella, Ran, and An'a, the group made their way to the Infinite Staircase and followed the moonlit path of wisps into a once unknown portal on the stairs. Sharon, holding fast to her faith, stepped in as did the rest of the party.

Long hours had passed until the party had returned through the same moonlit path, finding their way back home from that divine realm. With a renewed, confident smile, Sharon found her way back home in Baha. Inside of her office, currently messy with books and boxes of rolled parchment piling around her, the sorceress looked over the potion, her salvation, in her hands. "Anoint yourselves with this, and the curse shall dissolve and shatter," Sharon murmured to herself. As she stared with intensity at the bottle, she couldn't help but wonder: Danila has returned home, diverted from his path of bloodlust, but what of Farah? Even the Malarite Huntmaster herself that did her best to hide her fear was spared, but would she return? To trouble another place, or to turn from her own path, too? Perhaps, in time, she will know what became of them. Resolute, the sorceress pulled the stopper out, held the bottle aloft, closed her eyes... and poured.