An Introduction and Appointment at the Temple of Hermes

This forum represent casual roleplay within the Sigil streets, its bars, and other "walk-in" roleplay avenues.
astraeus

Posted by astraeus »

A dark-skinned gentleman with white hair and red robes comes to the Temple of Hermes in the aftermath of recent events. He makes offers to any collection plates as expected by visitors and seeks out clergy, telling them he has been asked to meet with the High Priestess by those working on temple reconstruction.

As he waits, he will take in the architecture of the structure and note various locations where displays would be set up. Upon finally getting his audience, he offers his usual bow and smile and begins.

"Your Grace, I am Grey of the Godsmen. I have come before you at the request of Factor Xujja of the Sensates. Long has he been an admirer of the many objects of beauty I have created, with each item crafted from the finest materials and unwavering in both form and function. He has told me of the loss of a number of your relics and believes that if anyone was capable of doing justice to replace them, I would be that being."

"If you would like, I can offer you a private showing of some of the items I have retained. The better to let you see examples of my acts of creation, for that is how I look at my ability to create."

With that, Grey will bow slightly and wait for a reply.
edmaster44

Posted by edmaster44 »

"So your the One the Factor recommended..." Stepped the High Priestess as she set aside her Mop and Bucket, cleaning up the mess in within the Temples.."Well ..No point in wasting any time, Do present them! and Forgive our apperance at this very moment, I'm sure you're. .more than understanding what occured recently.."
astraeus

Posted by astraeus »

Wasting no time Grey proceeds to pull items from various pockets sewn into his robes. A majority of them are items that one would expect adventurers and planewalkers tp possess: various weapons and sets of armour. After these he sets out various pieces of jewelry, then proceeds on to more unique items such as tankards, candlesticks, books, chess pieces, a sextant and several other small art pieces.

As he finishes laying out the objects, he proceeds to pull out ingots, globes and more exotic materials and sets a singular piece next to each item crafted with it. He then backs up to give the High Priestess space to move about and examine the objects for herself. As she looks, he adds in some commentary.

"Each of these pieces while unique in appearance share a common trait: the materials selected to form them were chosen from amongst the most difficult to work with, ensuring that only someone with the highest degrees in various crafting skills could assemble such objects."

He leans down and picks up a fluted cup.

"And you will no doubt notice than a number of these bear an enchanter's trait as well. I would not consider myself a true craftsman if I lacked the skills to forge the arcane."

He gestures around the rim of the cup and it fills with cool, clear spring water. He offers her the cup, and with a wry smile reaches into a pocket and pulls out another small bar of metal. It is both strange and beautiful, with an orange glow and what appears to be fluidic swirls moving across it, despite being quite solid. He offers the unusual metal to the High Priestess to examine.

"Everything you see laid out could be considered mundane by many. Our city has its fair share of crafters and enchanters, and a critic might say these objects arranged for your inspection could be made by others. What then would set me apart?"

He gestures to the metal he handed her.

"What you now hold I call planar orichalcum. It is a unique material I have created from alchemically fusing several of the special materials you see laid next to my various works. The original formulae of orichalcum has been discovered and lost on many a world, but there are still references found that speak of its magnificent look. One one prime, there was said to be a Temple dedicated to Poseidon who's walls and pillars flashed with the light orichalcum created."

He gives a short pause as he lets her examine it further, then wraps up his presentation.

"To my knowledge, no one else here has sought to recreate a lost, wonderous metal. Let alone attempt to recreate it by using planar versions of the more common metals it was described as having within it. If seeing this delights you, and you feel others of your congregation would stand in awe of seeing relics reborn with a look found nowhere else, then for your temple I will endeavor to construct the greatest works of art I have ever attempted."

He then awaits her response.
astraeus

Posted by astraeus »

OOC Edit:

After the several small art pieces are displayed, Grey would also set out a dozen various gems he had cut, all flawless. Alongside these would be an assortment of power essences, several wands of both metalwork and woodwork. To fully show off his diverse offerings, he displays a pair of golems he crafted from tonalite and migmatite, and has them stand in classical poses at each end of the display.
edmaster44

Posted by edmaster44 »

"Oh....,my that is quite an impressive and vast array of fine craftsmenship.... Mr. Grey, tell me, Color us impressed, We heard of such materials being dedicated to other Olympian Powers..., the Orichalcum, Can you spare some of it to help us rebuild and replace what we've recently lost here? It would have to be in dedication to Hermes, something that symbolizes his role as the messagner to gods and mortals alike.."
astraeus

Posted by astraeus »

Grey rests his chin in one hand as he contemplates what would make a good dedication. After about a minute, he reaches down into the folds of his robes and produces what looks like a shadow lantern. He holds the lantern out at shoulder height and with a free hand traces a rune in the air next to it. As he does this, he lets go of the lantern and it stays suspended in air. Now he leans in and blows softly onto it, causing the candle to sputter to life. What's unusual (beyond the fact that it floats) is that the candle flame radiates the colors of the rainbow.

As he adjusts various crystalline lenses around the sides of the item, he turns to the High Priestess.

"This radiant little toy is my prismatic lantern. Through illusory magics it allows me to project images in my mind's eye into the real world. It is useful for helping me decide how I wish an object to look before I commit to crafting it. And as you see I can share my vision with others."

At that, there is a brilliant flash of light and a relief sculpture is projected from the lantern. The image shows Olympus in the background. Standing in front and to the left is Hermes, depicted wearing a winged hat and sandals. A courier's satchel rests at his side, strapped across his chest. In one hand he holds the caduceus, planted upright. His other hand is outstretched and holds a rolled up scroll.

To the right on the sculpture is a man on bended knee. He holds one hand out towards Hermes, waiting to receive the scroll from the gods. The entire sculpture is carved from a deep emerald stone (komatiite) with individual parts replaced with orichalcum. In particular is Hermes' helm, sandals, satchel , caduceus, the scroll and his eyes.

Grey gives the priestess some time to examine the illusory relief before saying anything further.

"Do you feel a carving such as this pays respect to your deity, and conveys his role for all to see?"